Shrimp questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
I have never had shrimp and really wasn't interested in keeping them until I found the site.What are the benefits of keeping them?Should they be kept in a community or single species tank?Should the tank be planted or does it matter?What do they eat,and do they breed easily?I have so many tanks right now I am sure one of them should be suitable for shrimp.But if anyone can answer my questions,it might help me decide on whether or not to get some.
THANKS!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I have never had shrimp and really wasn't interested in keeping them until I found the site.What are the benefits of keeping them?They are active and interesting little critters. You will be surprised how engaging a small planted invert tank can be.Should they be kept in a community or single species tank?They do best when kept in an invert specific tank as they are the natural prey of most fish. That being said, in a densely planted tank they can be kept with small peaceful community fish. They are much more visible and active in a species tank. Should the tank be planted or does it matter?I prefer to keep them in a planted tank as they like to graze on the biofilm produced ont he plants.What do they eat,and do they breed easily?The majority of dwarf shrimp are omnivorous, so they will eat most veggies, algaes, and prepared fish foods. Some are easier keepers than others. I always recommend starting with a neocaridina species as they are the most tolerant of varying conditions (pH, temp, etc). There are several varieties commonly available including cherry, snowball, yellow, blue pearl and wild type. These breed quite readily The basic stocking rule of thumb is about 10 adults per gallon. I don't recommend using a tank smaller htan 10 gallons as shrimp are VERY sensitive to fluctuations in water parameters.[/QUOTE]
Hope this helps! Please post any more questions that you have :)

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Oh, a couple other things I should mention. I prefer a dark substrate as it really showcases their colors. Also, sponge filters are great in shrimp tanks as they pose no threat to the baby shrimp. Covering the intake with a sponge prefilter or media bag is effective as well.

DominionDesign

Just chillin', watching the fish.
Aug 5, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
Msj is the shrimp queen and her advice is spot on. I will add, I was the same way, I initially got shrimp to help control algae in my planted tank and now am hooked on them. IMO you will be surprised how entertaining and interesting they are. Then come the snails...

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
This is the tank I was thinking about putting some shrimp in.It has 6 neon & 6 glowlight tetra,and 1 dwarf gourami.What do ya think?

PA040020.JPG

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
Very nice tank - the shrimp would have plenty of places to hide and feel secure.

NickD

AC Members
May 2, 2008
Maryland, USA
I can't argue with anything msjinkzd has said. She knows shrimp. I bought some yellow neocaridina from her about 2 weeks ago and so far they're doing great.

I would just like to also mention amano shrimp. They're bigger than the neos so they're less likely to be eaten by your fish. However you won't ever have a breeding colony of amanos in your tank like you will with the neos. You can keep both amanos and neos in the same tank without them interbreeding. I have a couple of amanos in my planted tanks and they're hardy critters. They've been through some rough stuff (medications) in that tank and have somehow survived.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
I have to echo what the others have said... shrimp are incredibly engaging and entertaining little creatures. The tank you posted is beautiful and any shrimp would be lucky and happy to live there! Good luck with them if you choose to get them; you'll not regret it.

KEVBO

AC Members
Sep 29, 2008
so. california
i have three ghost shrimps currently carrying eggs. How long do the moms hold the eggs before they hatch? do they lay the eggs and then the young shrimp hatch after a few days or is it immediate? whats the best way to keep the mom from eating the young? a net breeder or just a large tank to herself with plants? thanks for your anwsers

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store