black ich.......HELP!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

braelynsNemo

AC Members
Feb 6, 2008
Apopka, FL
after 8 weeks of my tank being fishless... my clown and puffer in a different qt than my tang with the first bout of ich i put them back in the display tank and a week later what do you know my tang has black ich now... i have been in the process of setting up my 75 gal for her to call home. now she has exposed my clown , puffer to black ich. so my question is...... has anyone had any luck with quick cure? and since i read up that the worms live in the sand .. would it be bad of me to just replace the sand when i put them back in to qt? i do know that the puffer cant have meds .. they show no sign of it as of now. so back off to qt they go. ill make sure my tang is in her own qt alone... :cry:

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Are you sure it has Paravortex? You want to be sure before you try to treat anything. A formalin bath and quarantine are easily done, but again, that is assuming that is the case.

braelynsNemo

AC Members
Feb 6, 2008
Apopka, FL
she has been bashing herself into the rocks...i noticed it on her fin and now its on her head... it started out white 2 days ago and i thought maybe it was the sand because it had gotten stirred up a bit during my water change.. but now its black and she keeps scratching .... it drives me nuts i just wanna pick it off her.. i feel bad.

cmar

AC Members
May 18, 2007
my lfs said that black ich is pretty rare. turns out my tang had parasites, and a simple, totally safe medication cured it within days! somehow, try to be sure of what it really is, and i know that it can be difficult to do! but, hopefully, it's something minor, like i had.
good luck!

saltydunc

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
dundee scotland
my yellow tang had black ich when i got him....i treated him with FW dips...i had to dip him twice over a space of 3 days but it worked a treat...the way i done it was to make sure the FW was of the same temp and ph of the aquarium water then dip the fish in for about 8mins keeping a close eye on the fish then lift it out with a net and gently slide the fish from side to side in the net on both sides of the fish...then i put him in a bucket of my regular tank water...let him sit in there for about 10 mins then use a different net to put him back in the main tank....i had to do this twice and it worked....hope thats a help :)

Dee6991

AC Members
Apr 11, 2008
Amherst, Mass.
Very hard to get rid of Black Ick,,,,,FW dips help,BUT thats only part of the problem.what you see (meaning the black spec's,like black pepper)is the stage their feeding on your fish & drop off into the sand/crushed coral base & re-cycle them selfs every 3-6 days....UV sterlizers work well & also try too find a TRUE cleaner wrasse

wellsm2

AC Members
May 9, 2006
Central Virginia
I had paravortex on my yellow tang, and just fed him well and kept an eye on him. I never had to quarantine, because after about two months the spots went away and haven't been back for over a year.

Dee6991

AC Members
Apr 11, 2008
Amherst, Mass.
In cases of live parasites (paravortex),cleaner wrasse's will live a very long time.....The parasites will always keep cycling;Very hard to get rid of them ,therefor a cleaner wrasse will always get their main diet in the little bugger's..(that's why there called CLEANERS)..YES,without parasite's they do die after several month's of malnutrition,reguardless of how GOOD they eat from the food that's out there......I should know, I'vd owned mine for over 2 yrs. & YES, I have BLACK ICK also on a Yellow Tang,also owned for 3 yrs.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Second time I have seen CPD mention cleaner wrasses as a no-no. Not that I am doubting you, but can you please provide more information on your statement? I have google searched and only see other people on forums repeat what your saying, that they should be left in the ocean and have a low survival rate in an aquarium, but I don't see any real data backing that up. Kind of like when people say don't ever use an aquarium that was treated with copper, complete myth if you wash/rinse the tank out good.

Reason I ask is I have had a cleaner wrasse for some time now, and it gets VERY fat at feeding, eats like a pig off of Rod's food. Sometimes I think its belly is going to pop it gets that big. The wrasse did clean a very small bout of ich off my angel but it was just a few spots when first introduced. The cleaner wrasse made quick work of it and haven't seen a sign of normal ich since the first few days the angel was added. There are about 20 people in my reefclub that have cleaner wrasses in their tanks and I have not heard of anyone losing one. Some club members have had theirs over 3+ years, one actually has had his for over 5 years.

Now.. back on the topic of Scientific names.. which cleaner wrasse are you referring to because I have seen quite a few different fish called a cleaner wrasse, some definately do not last at all in an aquarium, but it seems the one I and local reef club members have are quite hardy in an aquarium and will eat both frozen (rods, brine, mysis, spirulina) as well as nori with a passion.

Here is the wrasse I am talking about.. is this the same one your thinking of CPD?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store