tail clamp in my guppy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
I have been having water quality issues. My tank had cycled around the first week of August, but I've been going thru a mini cycle due to adding 2 guppies and an Emerald cory.

I've been getting help from members on this forum, and I have been doing water changes. My guppy that I was concerned may be getting fin rot, now has his tail clamped.

I wasn't home all day and most of the night yesterday, so I don't know when this developed. The other younger guppy that I just added about 2 weeks ago looks good; tail fluffy and full. He hangs around the sick guppy like he's trying to comfort him.

I've seen images of tail clamp, and my guppie's tail is not as severe as the images, but it does looked clamped.

When I discovered this this morning the water was 74.5F, 1.5 nitrite, 20 nitrate, ph 7.8, alk 80.

I did a water change and vacuumed, and after about 30 minutes tested again.

My water was 74.5 F, nitrite color a bit pinker than the .5 "caution" pink so I'm guessing it's now .7. The ph was around 7.4, the alkalinity around 120, nitrate about 15.

I guess I'll do another 25% or should I go 50%?

What can I do to help him? Do you think it's nitrite poisoning? I didn't put aquarium salt in this time, but there would still be some salinity because the last time I did a change I added the appropriate amount per the instrutions.

I don't have a quarantine tank yet. Saw one a WalMart that's a 1 gal with filter and light. No heater though so I'd need to get one. I may run up there in a few minutes to get that.

Any help will be appreciated.

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
The nitrite level isn't going to help, any level of nitrites or ammonia is toxic. Do you have an ammonia figure?
A cycled tank will turn nitrites and ammonia into nitrates almost instantly, as you are seeing high levels of nitrites i would say your tank has not finished cycling. I would recommend large daily water changes of 50% until your tank has cycled (0 ammonia and 0 nitrites).

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
My guppy died during the night. I did water changes, got the temp up to 78, vacuumed, did everything you guys suggested.
But he didn't make it. Thanks for your help.

I guess he had gone through too much. I had him since June 10, one of the originals that I started with. He weathered the cycling of the tank, and I guess I added too many fish (2 guppies, an Emerald cory, and 3 ghost shrimp) all in one day couple of weeks ago, and ever since have been trying to get the tank back to the stable condition it was prior to the new addidtions.

I am trying to keep the other guppy from dying. His tail is frayed and his dorsal fin is frayed. The neons look fine, and are playing in the bubble curtain of the new bubble wand I added to the tank. The cory looks good.

I am so sorry that the poor little thing died.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store