ph for various snail types

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Zenz

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
I just tested and I think my ph is about 6.4. It was hard to tell honestly. I am using the api test kit and did the low and high ph and the closest was 6.4 although neither of them really matched any of the colors.

Will this work for nerites and mystery snails?

It not, do you change the ph of the water or supplement their diets?

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
You do both. The higher the pH the better as this prevents erosion to the existing shell. The dietary supplementation helps with new shell growth. You can buffer your water with crushed coral or baking soda. Baking soda would be added at each water change, crushed coral can be used as a substrate or in a media bag in your filter.

Zenz

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
None yet. :)

I will have cardinal tetras, blue rams, maybe some dwarf gourami, and cory cats.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
they should all do fine with a higher pH. Ideally the pH should be over 7 for snails. This is still within the acceptable range for all those fish.

Zenz

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
okie doke. I hope the lfs has some crushed coral. I assume I can just toss it in one of the baskets in my rena canister filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store