Competition for food

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DarkDH

Famished in the form of Money
Dec 29, 2007
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
hs.facebook.com
While cleaning my tank, I noticed the snail population exploding, and my former shrimp population gone.

Could the competition for food with the Kuhlies, shrimp, and ramshorns/mts cause the extinction (in my tank) of shrimp? I would like to know this before I invest in cherry shrimp.

I leave about 8-12 shrimp pellets and 2 hikari bottom feed tablets a night.

blissskr

"Who's Barry Badrinath"
Jun 22, 2008
New Hampshire
What kind of shrimp did you have?

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
you did not have real ghost shrimp, unless you were fostering the young in brackish water. ghost shrimp do not breed in freshwater. :)

chazsgirl

AC Members
Jul 14, 2008
They were not whisker shrimp....

I have your normal ramshorns, so I doubt they ate my shrimp.
the tank I am having issues with is the snail/shrimp tank
my snail/shrimp tank has:
ghost shrimp
yellow shrimp
cherry shrimp
also a few ramhorns, MTS and Spixi's
ALSO I HAVE SEEN A SPIXI SMALLER THAN A PEA EAT A FULL SHRIMP!

the whiskers are in the 29g tank!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
ghost shrimp are not always the hardiest. Some species can reproduce in freshwater, but I believe the young still have a larvael stage so its possible they were sucked into the filter. What are your parameters? i don't think your ramshorns are outcompeting the shrimp for food.

DarkDH

Famished in the form of Money
Dec 29, 2007
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
hs.facebook.com
Do cherry shrimp have a larval stage? as I would like to avoid them from getting sucked into the filter.

Parms are good, however I just did a water change, so they are a little inaccurate.

Everyone else is fine.

The reason I am worried about competition is that I may add a colony of cherries into my tank.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
cherries do not have a larvael stage, however hte newly hatched shrimplets are VERY small. The intake on your filter should be covered with a prefilter sponge or a media bag. Also, shrimp are more sensitive to water parameters than fish sometimes. It sounds like you may be overfeeding, what are your exact parameters for nitrite, ammonia, and nitrate?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store