Guppy breeding behaviour

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Iced Galaxy

AC Members
Apr 2, 2003
Visit site
well, i have a pair of guppy in my tank. i notice that the female always hide under the fake plants and always low in the tank like on the gravel. is it a breeding behaviour of a female guppy? or is she just sick?

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
It's not really a breeding behavior. It could be a breeding reaction, i.e. if the male is harassing her too much, she may be hiding from him. Or, she may be stick, keep an eye on her. Is she still swimming around at times and eating well? It is usually better to have 2 females to each male so that his aggressive mating attempts are spread around.

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
Also you may want to add a few more plants to the tank. Guppies feel more comfortable in a heavy planted tank. What size tank do you keep them in? Is there plenty of cover? Are they alone? what other fish are in there?

But for breeding behaviour and breeding tips, check out this website.
http://www.showguppies.com/

jim

Last edited:

Iced Galaxy

AC Members
Apr 2, 2003
Visit site
they are in 20g tank wif c cory and a dojo loach. and 2 zebra Danio

i have two caves and a few fake plants

and i just notice that th male's tail have 2 holes in it? is it cuz the female is agressive to him?!?! ya....both are eating well....the female only come up for food

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
How old is your tank? how often do you do water changes. Have you had your water tested.

Guppies are very hardy fish as long as they get their water changes and they do fantastic once that is done on a regular basis.

jim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store