new fish makes old fish more fun!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
It's neat how adding new fish can change the dynamics in a tank. I bought six black kuhlis for my tank Friday and the changes have been interesting. First, they've already seemed to become accustomed and regularly come out to play. Also, within seconds of the flakes hitting the top of the water (20 gallon extra tall) they all come out and scurry around looking for whatever's gonna hit the sand.

Second, the common pleco that has always been so timid that you either never saw it, or if you even entered the room when it was out, you could be guaranteed it would flee in terror, is now quite comfortable coming out for observation. We've had it about three years (all of which, except for the past few months, have been spent in my wife's kindergarten class tank, which could explain the terror), and I've never seen it eat. I've even tried putting vegetables in the tank, and he ignored the zuccini (although the MTS seemed to enjoy it). Since Friday evening, not only do the kuhlis come running when I drop those Tetra flakes in, but so does the pleco, for some odd reason.

I don't understand it, but I like it :grinyes:

swinneyw

AC Members
Feb 1, 2008
i have a pleco that stayed hid all the time when i had a 14 gallon tank i got a 55 gallon tank and for some reason he is visable all the time go figure

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
perhaps the loaches are 'dithers' for the pleco? They are out-n-about, so "he" sees it's safe to go out?

FWIW, My common plec, now 8" was much more timid when younger and in a 30G breeder tank. now older and in a 75G, I see him out of his 'house' much more often.

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
It is just a really cool thing how the right balance can change things. My MTS are actually acting more like MTS now. They used to, day or night, be out all over the tank. Maybe not the entire population, but they were everywhere. Now, there are very few out during the day. My nice tan sand substrate used to look kind of junky from all the little black spots (snails and debris) on it, and now it's nicely manicured and nearly spotless most of the time.

I'm diggin' it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store