Salt mixes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

105man

AC Members
Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
Any particular salt mix you think is better, or worse, than others?

For a live rock, live sand, reef and fish tank, with softies.

Up until now, I have been using Red Sea...which is what LFS suggested.

Guy W

AC Members
Apr 8, 2002
Naples, FL
I read a paper that did an extensive study on salt brands. i think maybe slipknottin posted it, or boogie did. anyway it was a year ago probably so i doubt you can search for it.

but if i remember correctly Instant Ocean came out as number 1 or 2, and there was another brand i had never tried called reef crystals I think that came out really good. we are talking about minor differences in trace elements over all.

but IMO they are all basicly the same. but I.O. is what I use.

Guy

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
There was a poll on Reef Central, and 50% of 2700 respondents said IO. I have used it and been quite happy.

The more I use Red Sea products, the less I like them, but that's just an opinion.

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
Instant Ocean for me. I find it dissolves better and faster than reef crystals. Plus, it really does the trick in setting my pH properly without any outside involvement.

liquafaction

AC Members
Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
I use I/O because that is what is available to me in my neck of the woods. From what I have read Red Sea is on the top of the charts.

105man

AC Members
Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
Sounds like all good advice. I have also heard from one person who says she thought that when she changed her salt mix it caused a significant change in chemistry. I guess on that basis, another reason to stick with any of the name brands that you started with.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
If it's working, I wouldn't mess with it. I have used IO for years, and I have no interest in changing. If your livestock is happy in Red Sea, then the stress of changing mixes will probably do more harm than good. If your fish and softies weren't thriving, then you might consider the salt mix as a possible factor. Otherwise, relax and enjoy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store