Many names for different types of algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jamie

AC Members
Jul 27, 2003
TX
Visit site
I have found that there are several types of algae that can plague our precious tanks. Unfortunately, the only resource I have to determine the kind of algae I'm dealing with is articles without pics. I sort of try to picture what they are describing and see if it matches what I have. I think to effectively communicate the different problems involved with different types of algae, one must first be able to identify which kind it is. Recently I went to the LFS and pointed out to the employee what I thought was black beard algae. He disagreed with me and said it was hair algae. Now I'm thinking, if that was hair algae...what the heck do I have growing in my tank? I have searched and searched and searched for a good source of pics for different types of algae but have come up empty handed. Does anyone have a good resource? I don't want to purchase a bunch of algae eating fish that won't touch the kind of algae that I have. I would appreciate it if anyone could help clarify the different types of algae...pics would be very beneficial. :)

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
wellllllllll one problem with that is that there are probably 30 or so different spiecies of algea that can look like what we are trying to give a common name and you can have most of those mixed together as well for what looks to us like hair algea or what ever it is and we try to name it.

cheers

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002

Jamie

AC Members
Jul 27, 2003
TX
Visit site
Thanks Joe

Great pics, this helps a bit. Though I'm still not sure if a certain algae in my tank is BGA. It sort of looks like it...but it seems to start off as the thread type of algae and then clumps all together. Once it clumps up it starts to bubble/photosynthesis. It looks pretty gross. I have aquired a bunch of MTS's from the LFS and just bought some ramshorn snails. I also found some American-Flag fish at the LFS today when I went to check out how much Maracyn is. The fish were only .99, so I bought 5 of them. I'll let you all know what they do with the loads of algae that are in my tank. They should also help me figure out if that particular algae is BGA...if they eat it, it's not.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store