Fish swallowed sponge peices?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lil' fishy

AC Members
Sep 10, 2008
Ok, so like 2 weeks ago i told my dad that the sponge thing we used for the filter was falling apart. He went "ah don't worry" so I didn't. Yesterday, i kept saying to do a 50% water chance. He said to just clean the filter. When he grabbed the sponge thing out though, it was like poof! The sponge was all in little tiny peices. The whole water was filled with them. I scooped out as much as possible. I believe the fish though it was food, and swallowed some. We quickly did a 100% water change. They're less active today, just by a tiny bit. The 2 fishes only get like hyper when they see me coming, during feeding time, and after feeding time(for like 10 min.) they just sorta swim around. not chasing each other, occasionaly plunging their mouths in the marble, but really just acting all blah-ish. These are comet goldfish, and I have put marbles, a fake plant, and a fake fish inside the tank. They have never been bothered by these objects. Will my fishes be alright?

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
They should be fine. The goldfish digestive system is very simple - basically just a big tube. They should poop the sponge pieces out with their normal waste. :)
Next time, replace your sponge LONG before it starts to disintegrate! If it's that bad, it's not doing much of anything in the way of cleaning your water.

DooSPX

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
Florida
hopefully the pieces are small enough that they will not get stuck and be able to pass through their digestive tract. try to be sure to keep the water pristine. keep the ammonia and nitrites 0ppm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store