small to medium sized goldfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
Are there any goldfish that stay small to medium size? I'm thinking around four inches long tops.

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Nope, they all get big (10" plus). You might consider some of the golden varieties of swordtails or platies instead.

DooSPX

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
Florida
I agree with NT. no goldfish will stay that small unless stunted and dying.
if you want coldwater, there are WCMM's, or natives

Agent_Scully

AC Oscar Club Member #1
Jul 9, 2008
Georgia
I agree. This might help you a bit

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
If you are looking for a small coldwater fish then you can get Rosy Reds, Paradise Fish, White Cloud Mountain Minnows, or some native species. You really can't keep a goldfish small without stunting them and causing a lot of damage.

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
Actually, it's not for me. I wouldn't keep goldfish personally, unless I had a good-sized pond. No, the problem is actually a coworker's.

One of my bosses has a largish (between 50 and 75 gallon) aquarium in his office. A month or so ago, a secretary brought in a very small goldfish that her visiting granddaughter had won in a local fair and put it in the tank.

There is a lace catfish in the tank.

There wasn't a baby goldfish for very long.

A couple of days ago, the granddaughter called and was told that the fish was alive and well and getting bigger every day. Now granddaughter is coming up for a visit sometime and wants to see for herself. Sooooo, they want to get a less edible replacement. So I was hoping to get something that would stay a bit smaller than, say, a koi. As I'm not a big goldfish person, I'm really not familiar with varieties.

Thanks for the help!

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Kuhlifan - aside from the fact that I disagree with lying to child about the death of a pet (that's an important aspect of keeping fish; sometimes they die and even young children need to understand that) - there's not really a way to keep the goldfish in with a lace catfish. They have hugely different requirements, and with one goldfish and the catfish, the tank would be quite overstocked anyway.
All fancy goldfish grow to at least 10 inches long, and many will get even larger. Single-tailed goldfish can easily reach 20 inches. Anyway, most carnivals give out common goldfish, and I would think that the little girl would be able to tell the difference between a common goldfish and a fancy.
Best of luck to your coworker - it's a tough problem no matter how you look at it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store