" Peacock" Gudgeon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Telepath

AC Members
Dec 27, 2004
I found this fish in the lfs and thought WOW . Searched Wikipedia which sent me to "U- Tube" and here to find a pic. from rustygme on 7-7-08 all the same fish. I would like to know water parameters and any general info. I was thinking about putting them in a 30g with Neon's & Cardinal's I trying to keep the tank pH 6.8 to 7.0 and using Tetra Blackwater Extract. Was surprised to see these fish priced at $10 The dealer I use is asking $7+ so I guess that's a deal. Thanks for any info.

ProAquatics

Java craving
Mar 6, 2008
Lake Chabot
looks to be ok for a nice pair.very nice little fish IMO.nice pick up.GL

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
Sounds like a nice tank. I have always wanted peacocks.....

blissskr

"Who's Barry Badrinath"
Jun 22, 2008
New Hampshire
I wouldnt recommend putting these fish in your tank. My reasoning is these fish are very 'shy' when it comes to eating and the other fish you have in your tank will outcompete them for food and most likely they will starve.

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
They grow four to somewhat over 5 inches. I can't speak for their temperament as mine were the only gudgeons in the world that were bullies. If you do get them, however, getting a male might combat the shyness issue, especially if it was a male that was being kept with other males. Beautiful fish who are adorable at the same time.

kimapunju

AC Members
Jan 24, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I would second the warning from blissskr... I kept three of them earlier this year, and all wasted away within four months. They are beautiful fish with great behavior to watch, but they are most definitely shy when it comes to feeding. They will take flake foods if raised on them, but tend to like live or frozen foods more.

You may have more luck since you would be putting them in with relatively docile neons and cardinals, as opposed to rasboras, loaches and rainbowfish like I did. They do not compete well for food once the feeding frenzy starts. Good luck.

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
What are good tank mates for them?

blissskr

"Who's Barry Badrinath"
Jun 22, 2008
New Hampshire
I kept mine with some corys at first and then I threw some guppy fry in there to see if they would eat them. They didnt so know I have two pairs in with corys and a few guppys. The good thing about the guppies is the gudgeons learnt how to eat flake food from watching the guppies do it, when I first got them they would only eat frozen bloodworms or live bbs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store