Anybody have a female betta sorority?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Agent_Scully

AC Oscar Club Member #1
Jul 9, 2008
Georgia
i've seen several recently and it seems to be a great way to keep bettas if you do it correctly.

Has anybody had success in doing a female betta tank long term?
(if so, how did you do it?)

luckydud13

Did you hear that?
Jun 20, 2008
Charlotte, NC
It is in my experience that the bettas have to grow up together, or be very calmly introduced. Otherwise they will fight.

luckydud13

Did you hear that?
Jun 20, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I would say 10 gallons or more, more being better

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
Wow, I must be somewhat of an exception then! I tried keeping a betta sorority in a heavily planted 45 gallon and they fought to the point where I had to rehome the underdog.

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
My current sorority has been going since July.
Part of the success is attributed to that most of them are sisters.
It will be heavily planted, I am waiting on a better paying job to start this project.

AshK

Muffin MIX NAO
Jun 24, 2008
California, PA
I have a betta sorority and it has been a head ache. Some say you can house 5 females in a 10 gallon, however this is not a good idea. Not enough space for territories and at the bioload limit. I recommend 5+ in at least a 20 long, as this works best for me. Other things I've found out:

-Sibling bettas/fishes from the same grow out tank live well together
-Caves and a lot of cover are essential
-Pay extremely close attention to the pecking order, and always remove the problem fish, not the picked-on fish
-always have a quarantine tank ready

eveliens

AC Members
Mar 5, 2005
NWA, USA
hubpages.com
I had a previous one that did very well. It was a planted 20Long and all the bettas were introduced at the same time. Four of the females got along very, very well, without any problems. The fifth one they all terrorized until I removed her. Never had many problems, even with torn fins, once the underdog was removed.

My most recent one failed. I had them in a 29, introduced at the same time, and lost them one by one. I have one female left out of seven. However, I suspect this is actual due to an illness rather than fighting, especially since the ones I pulled were "alpha" in the tank. I know for sure 3 were ill before they passed. This was after I separated everyone from each other and other tankmates.

I agree with AshK's tips. You can take precautions but it's a bit dicey. Make sure you pick tankmates that won't pick on them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store