cory catfish lost whiskers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

molly1

Registered Member
Oct 10, 2008
Hello,

Two of my cories have lost their "whiskers". One of the two died. The other one is a little sluggish but still fairly strong. Does anyone have any ideas what disease might cause this? (I think it is an illness rather than a bullying situation as I haven't seen any fish picking on the cories.) I want to stop it before it happens to the rest of my cories.

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
What kind of substrate do you have? Barbel loss is usually a combination of poor water condition and sharp gravel. What are your water parameters? High nitrates could prevent the proper regrowth of barbels.

Last edited:

faun

AC Members
Feb 25, 2008
Norwich, England
How long have you had your cories?
What size tank are they in and what else is in the tank?
What are your water parameters?
If you answer these questions you are more likely to get the answer you need.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
How long have you had your cories?
What size tank are they in and what else is in the tank?
What are your water parameters?
If you answer these questions you are more likely to get the answer you need.
And what kind of gravel will help too.

molly1

Registered Member
Oct 10, 2008
I do have gravel in the tank. I don't know what type of gravel, other than it is coloured red and I bought it a long time ago in bags from an aquarium store. The cories are in a 38 gallon tank. Also in the tank are mollies and platies. The cories who have lost their barbels have been in the tank a year to a year and a half. My water is currently: pH 6.8, alkalinity 180 (KH ppm), chlorine 0 (ppm mg/L), hardness 150 (GH ppm), nitrite 0 (ppm mg/L), nitrate 20 (ppm mg/L). My water quality did suffer a bit in the past month, but it's getting better.

jaylin

Don't ask if you don't want to know
Aug 14, 2005
Denver-ish Colorado.
My water quality did suffer a bit in the past month, but it's getting better.
That's probably your answer right there. Cories need to be maintained with good water quality and if you're using gravel, you have to make sure it stays fairly clean too. Otherwise barbells suffer.

I would put the cories into a bare bottom tank and keep the water very clean for a while.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I would put the cories into a bare bottom tank and keep the water very clean for a while.
And then their whiskers will grow back.

molly1

Registered Member
Oct 10, 2008
Ahh - good. I didn't know if their whiskers could grow back or not. I'm pleased to learn they can. Hopefully some TLC will take care of it. Thank you everyone for your help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store