Root Tabs - Flourish Tabs or API Root Tabs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jag1980

Got Plants?
Aug 18, 2008
Marysville, Wa
Are they all the same or is one better than the other?

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I think API recommends replacing every month while Flourish claims to be good for 3-4 months. I use Flourish and the plants seem to like it.

As an aside, I wonder if tabs release much nutrients into the water column, perhaps providing some nutrients for those who do not add other ferts to the tank.

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
I think API recommends replacing every month while Flourish claims to be good for 3-4 months. I use Flourish and the plants seem to like it.

As an aside, I wonder if tabs release much nutrients into the water column, perhaps providing some nutrients for those who do not add other ferts to the tank.
They're not supposed to, if you bury them deep enough, which also prevents algae from accessing the nutrients as well.

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy
i'm pretty sure that APi tabs have much less substance than Flourish ones. i'e used both and i defantly liked the Flourish ones better

also what i understands that Wonder Gro are really good too. never used them personally but thay are cheaper for more and the people who use them love them

Jag1980

Got Plants?
Aug 18, 2008
Marysville, Wa
LFS wants $15+tax for Flourish tabs... BS....

Wonder Gro Total: $33.24 Shipped...

How Important are Root tabs if I dose on a daily schedule, doesn't the nutrients travel down into the substrate anyway?
I use sand.

saram521

AC Members
May 10, 2008
Georgia
www.aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Sara
When you have plants that gain nutrients through their roots, such as amazon swords, vallisneria, etc, root tabs do provide a way for those plants to get what they need for better growth. Some substrates can "absorb" ferts that are simply released into the water, but sand isn't one of them. Eco complete and I think Flourite substrates can better hold ferts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store