Stocking/New tank suggestions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

April12

AC Members
Oct 10, 2008
I currently have a 10 gallon with 3 Black Phantom Tetras, 2 Pristella Tetras, a guppy, 2 Cory Cats, an Oto Cat and a newly acquired Red Tail Shark.

A co-worker gave me the Red Tail Shark after she bought two of them for her tank, not realizing that they wouldn't get along. The Red Tail Shark is only about an inch and a half long right now, and I know he's going to get a lot bigger.

So here's the question: I'm thinking of adding another tank to house the Red Tail Shark and I'm trying to figure out some cool fish that he would be compatible with. I also have been thinking about getting a pair of German Blue Rams, but at the moment I have nowhere to put them. It sounds like they wouldn't get along with the Red Tail Shark because of their fragile nature. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I should reorganize to keep the Red Tail Shark in a larger new tank and the Rams in the 10g? In the long run will the Red Tail Shark get along with the Black Phantoms if I moved them all over to a larger tank and got a few more of the Black Phantoms? I'm thinking that the new tank will be somewhere between 20 and 50 gallons, depending on what kind of a deal I can find on Craigslist.

Another thought is that I could forget about the Rams and perhaps keep the Red Tail Shark in an African Cichlid tank. Would that work if I acclimate the shark slowly?

Virtuoso2K12

Mar 2, 2008
Southern CA
10G is small for the shark and ram won't have space since your current tank is filled, otos likes to be in groups of 3 or more. The shark will attack the ram and the shark may do ok with your africans. How big is your african tank?

April12

AC Members
Oct 10, 2008
I'm leaning towards either a 29 or a 38 for the new tank, so how would the red tail shark do with a pair of Africans in that set up?

Would a pair of Rams and 2 or 3 Corys be ok in the ten gallon? (I would rehome all of the other fish that are currently in there)

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
for the rams, you'll want at least 30 gallons and lots of places to hide (plants and caves) they also require really good water quality. For now I would wait to get them, and definitly not place them in the same tank with the red tail.

April12

AC Members
Oct 10, 2008
Thanks for the help. I think I'll plan on doing an African tank and I'll look for a 55 gallon.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I would upgrade this stock before getting another tank. Your RTS will reach at least 5" and will be very aggressive, especially in the cramped conditions. Also, your other fish should be in schools of at least 6 (minus the guppy).

I say find a new home for the shark, your corys will thank you in the future. Then get something closer to 30 gallons and add to your existing stock.

April12

AC Members
Oct 10, 2008
I never intended to keep the shark in the 10 gallon long term. I guess my problem is that I don't really know how to stock the 10 gallon. It was my first tank that was leftover when I upgraded to a 38 gallon for my goldfish. I started with the Black Phantoms, but I wanted some variety. The other fish were added bit by bit. It's difficult to use a 10 gallon as a community tank, and stick to all the rules about group size for each species.

April12

AC Members
Oct 10, 2008
Oh, I forgot to mention that the funny thing is that the Black Phantom's behavior has changed, I think for the better, since I added the Red Tail Shark. They were sort of pale before and they didn't do much except hang out amongst the plants. Now their tails and black spots are more pronounced and they seem to interact with each other more. Maybe it means they're feeling territorial, but it seems like they might be happier since their color is better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store