Thoughts on Purigen Use

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Boomer77

AC Members
Jul 22, 2008
I wanted to know what everyone's thoughts were on using Purigen. I've been reading up on it lately and it seems like an okay product, but no substitute for proper tank maintenance. So, what does everyone think?

JP

Just Prince

AC Members
Nov 2, 2007
I use it and like it. I like the fact that it is reusable. My tank never skipped a beat when I switched.

Boomer77

AC Members
Jul 22, 2008
That was the concern I had. I've been reading that once it is removed, it can mess with the tank's cycle or biologocal filtration.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
It is phosphate based and I understand it can increase phosphate level. I wonder if it would also absorb some nutrients needed by plants.
Never tried it myself.

1oooop

int x; if {x>1} {std::cout
Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
hmm, sounds nice to use it in my tank... I guess I will someday

Jag1980

Got Plants?
Aug 18, 2008
Marysville, Wa
Is this stuff worth buying?
I have a high light tank and dose fertilizers almost every day.
How often does it need to be recharged?

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Be careful what water conditioner you use with Purigen.

"Only certain slime coat products will cause Purigen™ to become toxic; the products that do this are amine based. Prime™ and Safe™ are not amine based and so will not cause this problem. If you're curious, what happens is that the amine compounds can strongly bind to the resin, then when they (the amines) come into contact with any chlorine they will form chloramines which are highly toxic. We offer a stress coat product, StressGuard™, which is not amine based and so can be used in conjunction with Purigen"

Last edited:

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Is this stuff worth buying?
I have a high light tank and dose fertilizers almost every day.
How often does it need to be recharged?
According to Seachem, it only lasts about a month before you need to regenerate it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store