what do you feed your angel fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

STaNgXs

AC Members
Oct 8, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA
Visit site
i've had him for about 5 days, and have yet to see him eat, all the other fish in my tank eat, except for him and the clown loaches.... i feed all my fish flakes... do i need to feed them pellets?

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
have you tried live food such as brine shrimp or blood worms? Some breeders start them on live foods and nothing else so when the LFS gets them, they look at the flakes like they are foreign and don't bother with them. I would suggest feeding live food and mixing flakes in to get them aware of the taste of them.

HTH and GL

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
black worms, get the feeder cone to make it easy

DIYMatt

AC Members
Oct 8, 2001
Minneapolis, MN
Has anyone who suggested blackworms had any parasite problems? I have heard horror stories about those, but most fish just love 'em. I think I lost two pair of pelvicachromis to a parasite from blackworms, but I can't be sure.

I personally feed my Angels mostly frozen brine shrimp, then supplement with high quality flakes, pellets and sometimes other meaty foods if they are being pokey about spawning. I also feed live baby brine shrimp as a treat. But, thats because I am hatching them anyways for the fry. It is always better to feed a vareity of foods. Just let the frozen BS thaw completely before you put it in and that should be "live" enough for an Angel if they're hungry. Also, frozen BS isn't very expensive if you buy a big package. Also, be careful about overfeeding frozen brine shrimp, it can foul the water kinda quickly. Rinsing it in a brine shrimp net after its thawed and before feeding helps a lot. But, be sure to use non-chlorinated water to rinse. I just feed a little at a time and when they stop eating as voraciuosly, I stop feeding. Better to throw it away than foul the water.

Last edited:

AquaticEnt

AC Members
Sep 24, 2003
Kaukauna, WI
www.aquatic-enterprises.com
For frozen food, I try and stick with the Hikari Bio-Pure line. I feed my angels a variety of:

BP frozen brine shrimp
BP frozen bloodworms
BP freeze-dried bloodworms
BP freeze-dried brine shrimp
Ocean Nutrition Formula II pellets
Hikari Cichlid Gold pellets
Nutrafin Spirulina flakes
New Life Spectrum pellets
Omega One First Flakes
small live crickets

They get quite a variety, same as all my fish.

As far as the blackworms go, I've never had any problems, but I've never kept anything that needed live food. Some "blackworms" aren't truly blackworms, and can be tubifex worms as well, so it depends a lot on the source.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I also try to stick with Hikari. When thawing out a cube of BS or BW, it's better (optimum) to use the tank water to thaw the cube out. I have a little bowl specifically for this purpose under the fish tank in storage. Take some of the tank water in the bowl, let thaw out completely, pour the excess water out, pour the thawed cube into a net, pour a little more of the tank water over to rinse, and release the thawed cube in the tank.

I've heard about the problems with the blackworms and tubifex as well and haven't tried those frozen or live so can't really offer personal experience. The opinions by some as them being "iffy" are enough to keep me away from them.

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
when i get black worms i rince them out every day and if there are more than a couple dead worms i throw them all out, i haven't had any bad expieriences if i keep them clean and rinse them well in tap water before feeding. ANGELS also will take bits of raw shrimp. and i keep small livebearers in there with them so they can get some live food.

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
Black worms are excellent food for fish and I feed them every day to angels and discus and I have never had a problem with them. Frozen brine and blood worms are also good foods and should be a part of an angels diet. Angels should have a varied diet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store