Labidochromis Electric Yellow with Frontosas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nagukush

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
Hi Friends !

Can I keep 4" Labidochromis Electric Yellows with my 3" Frontosas ? Or should I just keep the frontosas ? Can they harm my Frontosas or are they compatable enough ?

Kindly guide me...
Thanks !
Kush

nagukush

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
Hi there !

Thanks for the reply...

But for now, the Yellows will be larger than my fronts - Is this ok or will they harm my Fronts ? Also will they disturb each other's breeding ?

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Hi Friends !

I just bought 6 x 3" Frontosas from a local pet shop and I plan to keep them in a 4 Feet (250 Litre) Tank. I dont want to keep any other fish in the tank except these 6 Fishes...
You got it right the first time.

As per advice in one of your other threads you will actually need a larger tank in the medium term for those fish you have already.

Otherwise, frontosa do not usually do well with mbuna as the Frontosa are large and somewhat timid and the active mbuna tend to stress them.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
what happened to the other three fronts kush plus it is general practice not to keep mbuna with fronts coler said it right, even thou fronts get big mbuna are too feisty for them i have seen mbuna rip the tail fins off of fronts be it said labs are generally more of a peacefull mbuna but your fronts dont know that.. good luck.. did you take my advice and read up on the history of lake tanganyika and the frontosa..

nagukush

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
Hi Friends !

Thanks for caring and for all the replies...

The Fronts are all doing fine, but its just that for now the Tank is looking empty... The tank is 4 Feet long and 2 feet high and the fronts are very slow moving / lazy... I cant see any fish in the tank, most of the times. I just thought that if Electric yellows are compatable then they will add some activity to the tank...

Maybe after the fronts grow up a little I'll remove a few fish ?

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
...the fronts are very slow moving / lazy...if Electric yellows are compatable then they will add some activity to the tank....
Excluding feeding times, social-aggressive behavior or instances when they're startled (when they can actually be quite fast), frontosas are typically slow-swiming lethargic fish (a species characteristic). Not really the kind to actively swim back and forth throughout the tank.

They're also generally hesitant and cautious fish and also still new in your tank. Adding hyperactive fish like mbuna's (which the yellow labs are) may possibly promote the frontosa's to be even more reclusive and stationary.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store