Salted vs. Unsalted...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
The addition of salt to the freshwater (FW) aquarium remains a persistent source of controversy. One need only perform a thread search at Aquaria Central to find numerous recommendations for or against its casual use.

Those who add salt cite observed health benefits, and typically have had no untoward events after years of use. For others, the efficacy of salt has not been sufficiently proven . In light of certain potential risks or a previous negative experience, they elect not to add salt unless medicating for a certain condition.

This thread includes widely accepted and objective information on the topic of salt addition in the FW aquarium. It concludes with the OP’s personal opinion on the topic. I apologize for the length and technical nature of the post but it is necessary to establish some of the biology/chemistry behind salt’s benefits and potential harm.

It is important to note that this discussion is geared for the addition of salt to specimen tanks that would not ordinarily promote higher salinity. Brackish/semi-brackish live bearer tanks or those that inherently require higher levels of general hardness (GH) including African Rift Lake cichlids merit their own discussion. The GH needs of African cichlids require a salt balance above and beyond those provided with the addition of plain salt (e.g. “hard” magnesium provided by Epsom salt). Recall that there are no naturally occurring aquatic environments which have high sodium salinity with simultaneously low hardness due to low calcium and magnesium ion concentrations.

The addition of sodium chloride (table or commercially available products marketed for aquarium use) typically at a concentration of 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water has been promoted to create several benefits for fish specimens including (with OP's embedded counterpoints):

Inhibition of nitrite toxicities: Salt can minimize nitrite poisoning by inhibition of nitrite ion uptake if chloride concentration is ~30 times greater than that of nitrite by sequestration of anion binding membrane transport. Assuming a toxic nitrite level of 0.1 ppm, this would require an estimated chloride concentration of ~3 ppm. Counterpoint: A mere 1 teaspoon of salt would be sufficient to provide this desirable effect for ~300 gallons of tank water; contrast this to the typical recommendation for added salt per gallon.

Reduction of osmotic pressure and stress: The addition of salt electrolytes can reduce osmotic stress for the gills. The ability of the fish to maintain homeostasis with its surrounding water is disturbed during times of stress or disease. Equilibrating this gradient provides ‘relief’ for specimens. The osmotic pressure in question is not ion specific and is comprised of the total ionic potential of a many ions in solution including magnesium (Mg), calcium (Ca), chloride (Cl), sodium (Na), potassium (K), etc. Counterpoint: The sodium and chloride contribution of salt addition represents only a fraction of the total osmotic potential for tank water of average tank hardness (i.e. GH). Mg and Ca are far more important in this pressure system than either Na or Cl. Excessive gradients can lead to disruption of membrane potentials for specimens both at the gill membrane and at other ionic exchange membranes. Finding this balance is difficult.

Promotion of slime coat and wound healing: Salinity promotes the creation of slime coat in many fish. This coat assists in the clearance of scale-bound parasites and helps cope with other disease states. Counterpoint: Many (if not most) commercially available water conditioners already provide for stimulation of this coat. Wound healing may occur via the created osmolar gradient. If the surrounding water has a higher concentration of total dissolved solids (TDS) than the fluids circulating within the fish, fluids move away from the wound site. Fresh plasma moves in response to the displacement, promoting flow to the wound area and augmenting immune response via migration of immune cells to site of injury. Counterpoint: There is also a concomitant risk of osmotic stress directly across already fragile and friable fish tissue membranes if the TDS osmolar gradient is too large. This is especially dangerous in the context of the high TDS ‘salt bath’. Plasma seepage or hemorrhage can occur in extreme cases as a result of tissue disruption (just as it can in humans).

Medicinal additive to promote clearance of protozoan diseases: Many pathogens including Ichthyophthirius do not tolerate higher concentrations of salinity. In conjunction with an increase in temperature to accelerate the protozoan’s life cycle, increased salinity is often all that is necessary to turn the tide against the disease. Salt is a welcome ally in the war against dreaded “white spot” and in this configuration, is treated as a medicinal additive. Appropriate treatment regimens also call for large water changes to remove this excess salt upon conclusion of the treatment. Note that in this context salt is used as a ‘medicine’, not as a regular tank additive.

Despite the potential benefits, there are considerable dangers associated with the regular addition of salt to the FW aquarium and especially with the use of higher concentration salt baths.

Salt may have an unpredictable effect on many specimens; some fish seem unaffected by its addition while others show instant signs of irritation. If not predissolved before addition, salt can generate serious burns. This is an important consideration for scaleless fish including certain species of loach, catfish and freshwater eels.

As mentioned, sodium chloride raises the total dissolved solid (TDS), GH and the important osmolar gradient of water. For those with average general tank hardness, this addition is less significant due to the presence of the other TDS ions previously listed (specifically Ca and Mg). However, for those with softer tank water, the addition of salt can have a profound impact. Many fish specimens generally do not thrive in waters of higher TDS including wild-caught (and to a lesser extent tank-raised) fish from the Amazon basin. Discus, tetra, corydoras etc. owners should be aware of this dynamic. FW fish are adaptable creatures but immersion in too high (or too low) TDS can have serious consequences for certain species. A further discusion on this topic was recently discussed (at AC.com) here:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167821&highlight=great+post+TDS

It is difficult for the average aquarist to create a balance between an osmolar gradient that will assist the fish vs. one that can actually promote stress. Inherent variability from one species to another (even one specimen to another) also means that a single recommendation for level of ‘therapeutic salt’ is impossible to establish. Salt baths (with much higher added salt concentrations) place fish in environments of increased TDS and GH for brief periods of time. This is an inherently stressful event for an already stressed specimen. Such baths are promoted by some for the treatment of edema (aka ‘dropsy’). The renal (kidney) and hepatic (liver) failure often associated with this condition makes the fish especially susceptible to imbalances in osmotic regulation; if the bath itself helped to alleviate some of the edema, the switch back to regular tank water (at lower TDS) in itself represents another environmental challenge. The primary goal should be to treat the underlying cause (e.g. bacterial infection) whenever possible and not to merely palliate manifestations or symptoms of the disease. We all strive for consistency in the aquatic environment whenever possible.

Most live plants do not appreciate the increased salinity of excess sodium. This is the reason that soft water conditioners (using NaCl salts and KCl) are discouraged for planted tank use. Those with certain invertebrates (snails in particular) may also attest to the unfortunate results of persistent increased salinity.

You regularly see a philosophy shared among posters throughout these forums: the principle of not adding any conditioners/substances to water unless required for specimen health. An antibiotic is never added ‘for the heck of it’ but rather to combat a specific condition. In contrast, water conditioner is a proven life-saving additive to neutralize the presence of deadly chlorine and chloramines. It has also been laboratory tested for safety even in ‘overdose’ quantities. Epsom salt, baking soda, crushed coral, aragonite or cichlid salts are proven to provide the GH needs for African Rifts. The use of pH buffers and algaecides are almost unilaterally discouraged. In this OP's estimation, there is little compelling evidence supporting or validating the introduction of salt (or salt bath) for anything other than a recognized medicinal purpose (e.g. protozoal disease). There are no existing guidelines for its safety or efficacy. There is no compelling evidence strongly in support of its addition (nor are there any situations calling for its absolute contraindication).

It is this OP's belief that the regular use of salt in the aquarium may be associated with disproportionately more harm than good. Striking a balance between potentially beneficial osmolar gradients versus those capable of promoting fish injury is difficult, is subject to inter-species variability, and represents additional stress for the specimen in the context of a high TDS bath. Salt addition should be treated as a welcome medicinal in the arsenal against disease; not as an additive for an otherwise stable aquatic environment.

Many will continue to use salt regularly in their FW aquariums with no problems (perceived or otherwise) or to augment other disease treatment regimens. We see wide variability in aquarists and in their habits/beliefs; what is acceptable for one aquarist is not univerally acceptable for the other. At the end of the day, we all seek to provide exceptional care for our tank inhabitants. For those seeking information on salt, I hope this serves as yet another voice in the crowd.

Whew….

Last edited by a moderator:

jaylin

Don't ask if you don't want to know
Aug 14, 2005
Denver-ish Colorado.
The addition of salt to the freshwater (FW) aquarium remains a persistent source of controversy. One need only perform a thread search at Aquaria Central to find numerous recommendations for or against its casual use. [/quote]

Lmao ... all that because I told you not to tell the guy medicating his fish to nix the salt that he was already using?

There is no controversy - the benefits of salt are well documented. The negative affects of salt are usually because the person using the salt messed up some how.

So, instead of telling people not to use salt, I think we should be teaching them how to use it properly.

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
Some prefer a less dogmatic approach and actually peform an objective and unbiased examination of data for and against. The result is an educated opinion. You can use your salt ''properly'.

As for there being 'no controversy', your persistent posting re: your faith in the practice is an ironic self-fulfilling prophecy.

Quote from jm1212.... "liv2padl (sorely missed) wrote an article about the subject

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...ad.php?t=85698

he really knew how to write a good article:

A good article indeed jm....

jaylin

Don't ask if you don't want to know
Aug 14, 2005
Denver-ish Colorado.
Less dogmatic ... do you know what I do for a living? (Think ... fisheries biologist ... and you'll be darn close. )

Lol, we'll never agree on this one, but I can live with that. But I will probably come and haunt you every time you say "no salt" until you come up with some credible information saying it's bad. (Sorry, old posts on AC saying "I used salt and my fish died" doesn't count as credible. Nor does pointing out where mistakes can be make with salt. If used properly, it's good stuff. And a whole heck of a lot safer for fish and hobbiest than many of the meds you recommend.)

But really, I just don't get it when you come along and tell someone that's using salt, and seeing no ill affects from it, that they need to stop it. Pulling fish off salt that quickly is just as bad as grabbing and handful of it and dumping it in. Yet, I've seen you give people already using salt the impression that it will kill their fish or at very least make them worse several times. Then they panic and run off to do a 100% water change removing most all of the salt and ... really, do you think THAT'S good for the fish? I think not!

It really bugs me because when it comes to most other things, you give good advice and are very knowlegable - so it frustrates me to death when I see you giving such poorly thought out advice. And I've seen at least two people rush off to get the salt out of their tanks because of your input. Not because the salt was doing anything bad to fish, but because you told them it was bad. And you didn't tell them to bring the concentration of salt down slowly as they should.

Way to go Dr. V! :)

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
Congratulations on being in the business...

Yes, we won't see eye on this one and that is indeed OK. These forums can legitimately be used to challenge certain preconceived notions; sometimes that means a 'vanilla' thread isn't realistic. Just try tuning in to one of the, 'I don't run my filter all the time' threads. If you (or anyone else) disagrees with content, I'm genuinely glad you comment to that effect. Feel free to 'haunt' but be prepared for challenge on the merits of the argument.

We are all proponents for proper fish care and all users should take personal responsibility for any fallout from the '100% water change'. There is no shortage of solid information here re: what constitutes best practice. Responsibility falls on the operator. Do you believe that your recommendations to 'add salt to aid in recovery' are not capable of/have not precipitated specimen stress on numerous occasions? How many users promptly dose salt without thinking of the consequences first? Your reasoning is grossly one-sided and this argument cuts both ways. I am still yet to see any tangible evidence (from you or any source) that unequivocally demonstrates salt has indisputable benefit outweighing possible harm. Until that is demonstrated, you're still just posting an opinion and from your own 'personal experience'.

There's room for that here as well.

If you are a personal proponent of 'educated' salt use for any proposed perceived therapeutic and/or maintenance purpose... wonderful. I would eagerly read through your posted usage guidelines. In the meantime, my own objective analysis of the situation still warrants a 'no thanks'.

Cheers...

Last edited:

murraycod

AC Members
Sep 22, 2008
Nthn Victoria, Australia
Doc,
A well written article which I enjoyed reading and as an uneducated person and an inexperienced aquarist, I'll treat....with a grain of salt. I don't pretend to have the understanding of the subject of freshwater chemistry that you and your fellow posters do.
I have though, read quite a few scientific research summaries which support your view that as a medicinal compound used in the treatment of ich, salt is effective.
One study (needs citation) achieved 100% effective treatment of freshwater ich through the application of salt at a rate of 5ppt. 1ppt added in solution every 24 hours. The period of treatment, temperature, etc is species specific, but a peak application of 5ppt is perhaps a figure aquarists can work with.
Two small points: haemorrhage; citations?
Good on you doc. I really feel I've learned when I read an article such as yours, and follow the dialogue 'across the table' with our fellows.
Cheers
Greg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store