Rope Fish Queries

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

misterroper

AC Members
Oct 12, 2008
Hi,
I am new to AC (20 minutes to be exact) but have enjoyed reading the site for some time.

I have a very sweet rope fish (mr roper), we have only had him about a month. He seems to be very active and socializes well with his tank-mates. A few days ago we noticed he has this bulge about 2/3s the way down his body. It resembles what a snake looks like after it eats a mouse, but it is only on one side. Any idea what has caused this or if there is anything to be concerned with?

Thanks in advance,

Michelle

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Rope fish are like snakes and can eat small fishes. Count your fishes, you are probably missing one.

beblondie

grand high exhalted poobah
Mar 25, 2005
What do you use as your substrate?

saram521

AC Members
May 10, 2008
Georgia
www.aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Sara
I agree that one of your fish may have been eaten. Even when ropefish are young and smaller, they can fit some decent-sized fish into their mouths. After fish eat quite a bit of food, their bellies become distended temporarily, so that may be what you're seeing. It could also be dropsy, which could be caused by less than pristine water quality. Can you take a pic so we can better see what this lump looks like?

red_wall

Whoosh! feel the onomatopoeia
Jun 15, 2008
SE Georgia
Ever see that video of an anaconda eating a hippo? Well, it's not that drastic, but fish do strange things that you would never think possible. Just to be sure, check your fish to make extra double triple quadruple sure.

There are many things that a lump can signify.
A tumor
Dropsy... although I dont know how dropsy would effect the physical appearance of a snake-like fish... hmmmm, it could possibly be that but I would think that dropsy would effect the WHOLE body of the fish, not just one spot
Could have swallowed gravel
Could have swallowed just about anything

If you have pictures it would help us greatly
And has Ropey been acting funny in any way (just laying at the bottom of the tank, or even staying at the top, less activity, more activity) just about anything different in its behavior is relevant.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store