my Flying Fox is feeling under the weather

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SteveyB

AC Members
Jul 1, 2003
Birmingham - England
Visit site
Ive noticed my flyin fox is behaving a little strangly, hes sittin on the bottom alot more than he used to an is breathing really heavily (quickly) i read the info about him in the SP's and it said he likes nice water, so ive done a water change and im going to do them a little more often than usual now, anyone have a flying fox of their own who cud give me some tips as how to keep him healthy/happy,

thx
:)

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
I don't actually own one and never have, but I am going to ask you some questions.

Have you tested your water for ammonia and nitrite? If you have, what were the readings?
What temperature is the tank at?
Is he still eating normally? What do you usually feed him?
What size tank is he in?

SteveyB

AC Members
Jul 1, 2003
Birmingham - England
Visit site
I tested the water for both recently, PH aswell, they are both within acceptable limits, not even off the first block of colour on my tests.
I feed them Aquarian Fish Flakes and drop a TetraTabimin tablet on every feed, i also try to give them Brine Shrimp every week or 2 if i can get down to my LFS, i think hes eating, im not sure yet tho, ive only done one feed since i noticed he was a li'l out of the ordinary.
its a 96 litre community tank, natural plants an rocks with plenty of places for the fish to hide if they get stressed
Temps at 25 degrees C atm, thats about 77f, which ever u prefere

SteveyB

AC Members
Jul 1, 2003
Birmingham - England
Visit site
just checked in my li'l book, he appears to have velvet disease, which is actually a parasite, so ive turned the light out and i'll be heading down to the fishie shop tomorrow to get some stuff to make him better, if they have it in stock, i'll keep u posted on him :)

oh btw, has neone else had this problem? and is it fatal, the symtoms are a gold like dust all down the skin/scales, and rapid gill movment

SteveyB

AC Members
Jul 1, 2003
Birmingham - England
Visit site
he died about 2 hours ago :( ive got some medication, but its the kind of parasite you can only kill once it releases to reproduce, ive got some medication, i just hope i caught it in time to stop it getting any of my other fishies

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store