Breeding Temp for Convicts

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BigZed

AC Members
Oct 11, 2007
Hey guys and gals,

So i have 8 convicts (6 female and 2 male) and a Jack Dempsey in a 135G tank and Im telling you its a huge breeding ground for my convicts.

I dont mind that they breed but the fact that they are CONSTANTLY breeding is becoming a little bothersome for the Jack Dempsey. As most of you know Convicts get very aggressive and sometimes i have two batches of fry going at the same time.

I fear that my tank is just too aggressive during the "breeding stages" and I fear that the increased stress may bring on Ich or other diseases.

Ive looked on the net but haven't found any good information about breeding temps for convicts. What Id like to do (if possible) is drop the temp to a point where its too cold for them to want to breed but still healthy for them to live. Currently my tank is at 75 degrees and all fish are healthy.

Thanks for any info that you people can give me.

Just a little tidbit: I did have 6 Convicts but two have been added due to breeding! Which is neat but i fear that all this breeding will also overstock my tank. I havent found a LFS that would take any fish yet either and I dont want to kill any new fish that might be born in my tank.

dilhcic

AC Members
Nov 27, 2006
Get rid of the 2 male convicts if you really don't want more babies. Cant really comment on the temperature idea, but I think convicts are such prolific breeders it would take a drastic temperature drop to stop them breeding but you would only be putting their health at risk, a temperature outside their "comfort zone" would stop them breeding but they would probably eventually die. Best bet would be to remove the males. Personally I would remove all the convicts bar one male and then add another cichlid or two like a severum or firemouth or something, with a 135g tank you have the room, but thats just me :) its completely up 2 you :thm:
all the best

lucy42083

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY
Yeah, in fact 75 degrees seems kind of cool for convicts to begin with to me. If I was going to say an 'ideal' breeding temp for them, I'd say 80. I don't think you can really go any cooler without putting the health of your cons and other fish in jeopardy. Hate to say it, but it sounds like you should have done more research before getting so many cons - they are notorious as non-stop breeders, and as being crazy aggressive during breeding.

What are you doing with all the fry? Unless they are all getting eaten, it is doubtful you will find someone to take them all off your hands. If you are saying that you're trying to keep all the hundreds of fry alive in your tank, and keep them there, obviously you will be way overstocked very quickly unless you get several more tanks.

I'd get rid of the cons, or like was said all except 1 male, and that will open you up to a lot more stocking options with cool fish and they won't be constantly stressed by cons breeding. There is nothing you can do, that I have ever heard of, to stop cons from breeding. A male plus a female = constant fry until they die. I have seen cons breed in bad water conditions that some other more sensitive fish probably could barely live in.

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
to tell you the truth, i had a large set up of convicts in the garage with no heater (this was in a 30 gallon) they were 2in a piece and the temp was 60F i know it low but there was just to many to keep in a heated aquarium with my other cichlids, i still had fry every week! eventually i bought a Red Bellied Piranha and let him eat them all (again i know it was cruel but there was over 100 in a 30 gallon).. what im trying to say is not matter the temp there still going to breed, just remove the males or find a pair you want and give them there own tank

alleykat0498

AC Members
Oct 1, 2008
Virginia
If space is not a problem put the two males in a separate tank, I had to do just that. I set up 2x10g and 1x35g for fry grow out and soon I had enough feeders for my O's and my arowana that I had to separate the cons, and I only had one pair. If you put the males in another tank they actually make a good addition to a semi aggressive sa/ca tank...

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
If you really must breed those little devils then keep the water temperature around 80˚F.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Stopping Convicts from breeding is not possible as long as you have a pair.They are the rabbits (or guppies)of the cichlid world. All you can do is to separate the sexes or to freeze/clove oil the fry.

BigZed

AC Members
Oct 11, 2007
Thanks everyone for their input I'll weigh my options about removing the males.

Cheapeeper

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
Elk River MN
You could possibly donates them to an elementry school science class. Give them away at a school carnival. Join a local fish club and sell them there or trade or give them away.
Or of course there is always Craigslist.org where you could post them for free to who ever picks them up. Your local Freecycle on yahoo.com
Just giving you ideas as to what to do with them all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store