UV sterilizer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bama8200

AC Members
Oct 6, 2008
What are the pros and cons to having a UV sterilizer in a reef tank?

I know in fresh water they help prevent disease as well as algea blooms.

fish guru

AC Members
Nov 12, 2007
The pros and cons are the same for both. I dont think that it is neccesary for a saltwater tank unless you are keeping some type of expensive fish. I think that sterilizers are mainly used for the out door pond. ponds are more likley to get green water. I would say that the con would be the high price if you have a large tank.

tamableanimal

AC Members
Aug 26, 2007
Caro, Michigan
The pro would be control of paracites and bacterias in the tank.
The con would be that it does not differentiate between good and bad, and can effect the good bacterias that break down the nutrients in the tank.

brackeeper75

Slave To The Fishes!
Feb 23, 2008
Kissimmee, Florida
www.scotts-place.com
The pro would be control of paracites and bacterias in the tank.
The con would be that it does not differentiate between good and bad, and can effect the good bacterias that break down the nutrients in the tank.
I agree with the pro! It does keep the water clear, and kill algae. If you keep the flow going through it at the lower range it can in fact kill parasites and bacteria. Most people don not keep the flow low enough to kill off parasites though, and this makes it useles batteling them. I use one with a small seperate pump. GPH on the pump is 117 however the device is rated from 100-250 gph.

I don't agree with the con! The bacteria that are used for breaking down nutrients are not in the water column! These bacteria are in the rock, sand and filter media. It does however kill things like pods, and plankton. I keep the pump in the sump close to the top of the water still have more pods living in my tank that the scooter blenny can eat! I do not run it 100% of the time. Also it can only kill things that pass through it.

I only run it when adding new livestock, battling algae, or when fish are stressed out from something( water change, moving, or cleaning in the tank)

tamableanimal

AC Members
Aug 26, 2007
Caro, Michigan
You are correct that there are very few nutrifying bacteria in the water itself. There are alot of factors involved , such as tank size, uv size flow rates. If to large of a sterilizer is used damage can occur .If to small of one or one with the wrong flow rate is used, it may then do very little. There are Micro algeas and micro organizisms that live in the water, most of them are helpful.
Uv units can be beneficial. You need to read as much as possible, to determine if they will do what you want them to do.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
IMO, UV is fine for FO tanks, but a big No No in Reef tanks. I have never personally known a person that would even consider UV on a reef tank (I am sure there are plenty out there, I just never met one) but I have met plenty of people that run UV on FO as well as ponds. I have read way to many nightmare stories as well as studies on the negatives of UV in a reef tank for me to know it isn't something I want to put on my system.

Seriously, if your putting UV on a reef tank to curb algae problems, your probably doing something very wrong to begin with if your experiencing that level of algae issues.

Bama8200

AC Members
Oct 6, 2008
Thanks for all the post. I am thinking of getting one for my FW tank but still not sure and I had someone that would sell me 2 for the price of one so i was thinking about one for my reef tank but i was wondering about the plankton and such. I figiured it would kill it. which would not be good. I am having some green water in my fw but the only algea i am having a problem with in my sw is a redish algea that makes bubbles b/f it grows. Its wired. does not grow where I have a good flow rate.

brackeeper75

Slave To The Fishes!
Feb 23, 2008
Kissimmee, Florida
www.scotts-place.com
Thanks for all the post. I am thinking of getting one for my FW tank but still not sure and I had someone that would sell me 2 for the price of one so i was thinking about one for my reef tank but i was wondering about the plankton and such. I figiured it would kill it. which would not be good. I am having some green water in my fw but the only algea i am having a problem with in my sw is a redish algea that makes bubbles b/f it grows. Its wired. does not grow where I have a good flow rate.
That algae is cyano, and is usually because you have bad flow, high phosphates, or a combination of both!!!

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
It gets rid of good and bad things. I only use mine when i have to.....like twice since i got it
This is actually more here say then scientifically proven. I know loads of people who run UV on reef tanks with detrimental effects what so ever!
It is true that the flow rate has be very low through the UV for it to have a 'total kill' rate due to the longer contact time.
Most of the benifcial life (pods etc) will actually be crushed by pump impellors before it even reaches the UV unit.
I run mine quite low and it gives me crystal clear water and very limited algae growth. If it happens to kill any parasites then thats a bonus but the few corals I have have not suffered in the slightest so I think saying a UV is 'no no' on a reef tank is a bit of a bold statement when many reef tanks are successfully run with a UV attached.
I run my unit 24/7.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store