Considering Tangs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eveliens

AC Members
Mar 5, 2005
NWA, USA
hubpages.com
So, the local fish auction is coming up next month. Last auction there were some tangs (more mbuna and peacocks-- wow, they love their africans around here!) for sale.

So I'm considering using my 29 for tangs :)

Suggestions for stocking?

Can large snails go with tangs?

If I get shellies, should I have some fish for the top? If so, what?

I will admit I used to have a mbuna tank and I found it slightly boring. My first tank was fantastic, beautiful adult fish with no fighting in an 80. Everyone thought it was salt. Then I went out of town for a week... :headshake2:. I may never forgive my aunt for that. My second tank was in a 55 and just wasn't the same, even though it was a similar set up (I do love yellow labs and acei). I gave the fish away and broke the tank down.

I don't want to jump into tangs to find that I'd rather have done something else with the tank.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
cool, tangs are always a nice and interesting species to watch i can watch all of my tangs for hours and honest i do just that, but as for that 29gal you could go with a pair of julidochromis species transcriptus being a tad bit on the smaller size with juli's and a colony of shellies like neolamprologus brevis, multifasciatus and a few others, a colony of multi's will be nice plus they are like rabbits you twitch your eye and there are like 15 babies already plus they mesh well with the transcript's aquascape your tank with one side full of shells and the other side with creek rock forming caves, your shell yard should be like 2 to 3 shells per fish ratio so they have ins and outs so to say, as for top water in a small setup like a 29gal with tangs your very limited on that issue if you just need to fill the top with a fish you could try a trio of praecox rainbowfish they are fast and only get to the ripe size of 2 inches which is what multi's reach and the transcript's reach like 3 1/2 inches dont feel compelled to add cyprichromis sp. they will not fare well in a 29gal, hope this helps, take care my friend..

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
oh yeah snails are a personal choice some tangs eat them some will ignore them

eveliens

AC Members
Mar 5, 2005
NWA, USA
hubpages.com
Thanks for the quick reply.

If I wanted to go with a single species tank, would julies or multis be more interesting to watch? Those are the two species I'm sure will be at the auction.

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
if i had to pick i would pick the shellies just something about them jumping shells fascinates me hehehe well not much fascinates me anyways these days, hehehe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store