Aqualifter Pump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tamz273

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
Is that a generic name? or is it a brand? Can anyone pass me a link to one?

tamz273

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
So this will work better than connecting my Overflow Nipple to a 110GPH Powerhead in my tank?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
IME, about the same. The aqualifter has a little bit more versatility as it doens't have to be in the tank, you can put it anywhere and run airline tubing. However, mine just died after about a year and a half so I just grabbed a spare powerhead and used the venturi. I have powerheads that are still running after 5-6 years of abuse so they might be a more reliable option. The venturi stuff can b a little finicky but once you get it positioned you should be ok.

tamz273

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
i cant seem to find any venturi power heads... it looks like all they sell are protein skimmers...?

on another note, i posted earlier about some water level trouble i had... is the reason behind it the fact that i dont have an aqualifter in my overflow?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Not having anything sucking air out of your overflow could cause the overflow to not flow up to its potential...although if you're running a reasonable amount of flow through it, you shouldn't get any air into it really once its fully primed. I'm trying to push about 600-650gph through an overflow rated for 600gph. The flow is fast enough that it sucks a lot of bubbles through, so I need a constant draw on the overflow to keep it running fully primed. I have the same overflow on another tank running at about 400gph, and once I get that primed, I don't need anything on it since no air really enters the chamber. I just use a piece of airline tubing on the nipple to prime it, then stick the end of the tube underwater and its good to go.

this is the powerhead I am using
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4585+4628&pcatid=4628

tamz273

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
interesting... i know i have bubbles running through my overflow cuz i can see them kinda "seep" in... and then i also see them comming out the other end of the overflow... im not sure how many get stuck in the siphon chamber though, so im going to assume that there ARE bubbles being stuck there...
I currently have the overflow hooked up to a powerhead in the tank.. im not sure if its workign well or not, because the water level in the sump is not remaining constant... can i safely assume that the reason is that there is not enough suctino form the power head?
Ill probably buy an aqualifter pump anyway, and see if that fixes the water level problem in my sump...

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Without seeing pictures of your overflow, sump and plumbing, I couldn't tell you for sure why you are having water level issues in your sump, but I would bet it doesn't have as much to do with your overflow. What do you mean by nor remaining constant, i.e. how long does it take to change and by how much?

tamz273

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
it always levels off at a certain point, and if i fill it up with about an inch of water, in around 5 minutes, its gone back down to the level is usually levels off at...

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
so the main tank water level gets higher and higher if you keep adding water to the sump?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store