Trimming a moss ball.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msouth468

Fighting for the little guy
Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
couchpotatodx.proboards66.com
I bought this moss ball from PetsMart and was wondering how to trim it. It is about the size of a softball now and I just need to cut it down to size. Do I just take it out and trim with scissors or is there something special I need to do?

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
Is it a java moss ball? Or a marimo ball?

msouth468

Fighting for the little guy
Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
couchpotatodx.proboards66.com
I does look like the center is starting to die. So I will probably just put it on my driftwood. Do I need to do anything special or just "break" it apart and use fishing line to tie it to the wood?

JohnSmith

Registered Member
Oct 4, 2008
I bought this moss ball from PetsMart and was wondering how to trim it. It is about the size of a softball now and I just need to cut it down to size. Do I just take it out and trim with scissors or is there something special I need to do?
If you want to divide it, gently separate it into two parts. You can do this with your fingers, just concentrate on the center of the ball and squeeze/pull-apart 'till you have two parts. You can take a pair of scissors and just sever the ball into two parts also. Then "just kind a form the parts into balls" and let nature take it course in gettin' 'em goin' again :)

I usually don't to this until they are pretty close to tennis ball size, but I guess you can do it before then ...

Regards,
JS

JohnSmith

Registered Member
Oct 4, 2008
If you want to divide it, gently separate it into two parts. You can do this with your fingers, just concentrate on the center of the ball and squeeze/pull-apart 'till you have two parts. You can take a pair of scissors and just sever the ball into two parts also. Then "just kind a form the parts into balls" and let nature take it course in gettin' 'em goin' again :)

I usually don't to this until they are pretty close to tennis ball size, but I guess you can do it before then ...

Regards,
JS
BUT, and that is a BIG BUTT, if it is a Java Moss Ball, this will NOT work! In the center is a Styrofoam ball with Java Moss just tied to it ... the above only will work with REAL Marimo Balls.

Regards,
JS

ciaobella7122

i love my ween!
Jul 28, 2008
Connecticut
If it's from Petco it probably is java moss. I don't get how they do this? It doesn't even look like a Marimo ... though I suppose it is technically still a "moss" ball... hmmm it still makes me mad

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store