Has anyone looked in a local pond, stream or river?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JohnSmith

Registered Member
Oct 4, 2008
I mean come on guys/gals, if you live in California, Florida, Texas, etc. there are abundant plants for your aquariums. Some are natural to the continent, some have been introduced--i.e., someone has dumped their aquarium in there and it has taken over. In California, millions are spent each year in attempts to eradicate these "weeds." Gessh, a lot of people employ themselves pulling these "weeds" out of the rivers and selling them to fish stores. Make it a family thing, go explore for new plants to add ... do the proper quarantine first, of course--before introducing them to you aquariums ... where do you think these plants originally came from? God had an aquarium and gave a seller some? <grin>

Regards,
JS

aquaholic

AC Members
Jan 4, 2004
WA
Visit site
I was fishing one one lake and kept on pulling out a plants that look identical to onion plant, I wanted to take one home but was afraid to get somekind of bad desease or something into my tank.

JohnSmith

Registered Member
Oct 4, 2008
I was fishing one one lake and kept on pulling out a plants that look identical to onion plant, I wanted to take one home but was afraid to get somekind of bad desease or something into my tank.
You think the guy in Singapore or India or Africa or So. America, etc. worries ... <grin>

Regards,
JS

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
Ponds and streams are great places to pick up plants. Florida has an abundance of crypts(alien) and ludwigia(native) species. Additionally, in Florida, you can pick up olive nerite snails without even trying...just find your local tidal pool and keep your eye open.

Unfortunately, most of the more popular plants won't survive the winter above the 37th parallel.

John, Tom Barr leads an "expedition" every summer to Florida for collecting and touring to see these plants in their "natural" habitat.

We have a number of plant specimen's floating around our local plant club that have come from all over the world. Many of our members travel to SE Asia on a regular basis. We have a few moss species that are otherwise unidentified....nothing really spectacular. One we call "Baja Moss" because, well, it came from Baja. Not really useful expect for fry. Another one is "amano" moss, given to a member from Amano. Amano just calls it "moss".

Last edited:

aquaholic

AC Members
Jan 4, 2004
WA
Visit site
Well maybe I should get me a mask and some flippers and do some snorkling next summer:) to bad John Smith gave the idea to late this season.

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
I've personally collected Ludwigia repens locally, I did that back in when I was in high school and couldnt afford a single piece of manufactured equipment, besides the tank.

Oh, those days of kittlylitter substrate, t12 shoplights and many many bottle of diy co2. It was fun, but I missed a crucial step, I didnt fertilize besides the $10 bottle of micronutrients and always wondered why I didnt have success for long, lol.

JohnSmith

Registered Member
Oct 4, 2008
Ponds and streams are great places to pick up plants. Florida has an abundance of crypts(alien) and ludwigia(native) species. Additionally, in Florida, you can pick up olive nerite snails without even trying...just find your local tidal pool and keep your eye open.

Unfortunately, most of the more popular plants won't survive the winter above the 37th parallel.

John, Tom Barr leads an "expedition" every summer to Florida for collecting and touring to see these plants in their "natural" habitat.

We have a number of plant specimen's floating around our local plant club that have come from all over the world. Many of our members travel to SE Asia on a regular basis. We have a few moss species that are otherwise unidentified....nothing really spectacular. One we call "Baja Moss" because, well, it came from Baja. Not really useful expect for fry. Another one is "amano" moss, given to a member from Amano. Amano just calls it "moss".
I knew there was a reason I liked you, took me awhile to figure it out ... from here on out, I will call you, "Bwana Jmhart!" <grin>

Regards,
JS

Jag1980

Got Plants?
Aug 18, 2008
Marysville, Wa
MY wife is from Indonesia, If anyone know what type of plants come from there I might be able to get one of her lazy family members to get some plants out of the river in there back yard. Can't import fish since you can't take water on the plane from there.. They feed the Giant Gouramis in their back yard all the time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store