california weather... to heat or not to heat ???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

darkmindzz

AC Members
Oct 14, 2008
so i have a 40g planted tank.. i live in long beach ca california.
my friend who is pretty knowledgeable about AQ's say there is no need for a heater.. the weather in cali never lets the water in the AQ get crazy cold .. dont worry about it...

but the lady at my trusted fish store is telling me no, i need a heater in the tank.... i looked up all the water temp needs of my fish .. they all are asking for 70 - 79 degrees temp. ( danios, gouramy, rasboras, ram) ..

so my fellow aqua dudes.. tell e newbie:help: what he needs..

my logic is this .. i think my friend thinks i live in a super new well insulted apt like his.. but my apt is actually alot older than his and can get pretty cold inside.. his apt was built like in the last 5 years and my apt was built in 1940s.. and honestly when i touch the glass of my aquariuam sometimes at night.. i know for sure it aint warmer enough to call it 70 degrees or warmer..

what do i do... beside going to buy a temp guage tomrow, keep in mind so far my fish seem healthy and active... they dont seem affected by my tanks water temp so far.. but i must keep in mind that winter hasnt started here yet.. we are just barely wrapping up summer.. and then once more this is a southern california winter we are talking about..

someone help me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ???

thanks. :help::confused::eek3:

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
^ I agree. As a fellow Southern Californian, I keep a heater in my tank, no matter what season it is. I keep the temp of the water at 75. It's in the comfortable range for all of the residents.

JohnSmith

Registered Member
Oct 4, 2008
so i have a 40g planted tank.. i live in long beach ca california.
my friend who is pretty knowledgeable about AQ's say there is no need for a heater.. the weather in cali never lets the water in the AQ get crazy cold .. dont worry about it...

thanks. :help::confused::eek3:
When I lived in San Diego (year around avg. temp 70 degrees) a heater was unnecessary, I now live in "middle california", the heater is great at nights and in the winter.

It depends, I have always found an aquarium will stabilize at 5 degrees below, to at, room temp, what is the temp of your room? If you only experience a dip in temps at night, but warm during the day, and the aquarium is big (>55g), it will be sluggish and avg the temps ... and of course, what heat sources are near the aquarium?

So, in summary, it depends ... a heater is always a "good insurance."

Regards,
JS

chanj

AC Members
Apr 20, 2004
Visit site
Coming from another socalifornian (562!) I'd say invest in a heater. I mean, during the day it's been up in the 90's but at night it can drop down to the low 70's. The heater, if anything, will keep the temperature in the tank more stable resulting in healthier happier fish :)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I would use the heater. Some prefer very warm water...higher than 78 degrees. Get a thermometer on there instead of guessing at the temp.

Jag1980

Got Plants?
Aug 18, 2008
Marysville, Wa
I live in Washington and I have not used a heater in 5 years and never had any kind of problem.

I use a heater in my house because I don't like to wear a coat when I sleep.

My water stays between 73 in winter time and max 79 in summer.

Get a thermometer and watch your temperature, if it starts to go below 73*f get a heater.

Jag1980

Got Plants?
Aug 18, 2008
Marysville, Wa
Doesn't the temperature fluctuate in there natural habitat?

I think it could be a good thing going threw the seasonal temperatures.
I never had a sick fish and all my fish last to their max life span.
I am still stuck with the same group of fish I started with in the beginning of my fish keeping... 5+ years ago...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store