Suspicious Discus Poo

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sarafish

AC Members
Oct 3, 2008
ok - im totally paranoid about intestinal parasites. I hav been feeding my 5 juvi discus 4 - 5 times a day and am watching them like a hawk afterwards. one of my red melons has white in his poo and im totally freakin...mostly cuz i havent had to treat this yet as they r my first discus so i dont really know what im looking 4. He does eat but he does get herded in the corner from time to time...
Ive also just cured an itch problem. *Should i b worried...can i treat whole tank for intestinal parasites or do i take out suspicious fish and treat seperatly? FOOD...all frozen blood worms, brine shrimp, beef heart & flakes

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
White poo doesn't mean the discus has intestinal parasites. It could also be mucous membrane of its intestines. If the discus is not eating at all, then consider using metronidazole and praziquantel combo although levamisole hydrochloride is much more effective as it covers a wide range of internal parasites.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Lupin is correct..white poo is only one Sx of internal parasites.

are the discus showing any other signs?

these are in QT?

with parasites you should treat the entire tank. other fish may already be exposed and may already be infected.

bump the tank temp too if you suspect parasites. young discus can handle heat in the 88-90 f range.. make sure you add airstones tho as higher temp water will hold less dissolved O2.

my preference for treatment (I treat all fish in QT unless I know the source has already done so) I use prazi, metro and levamisole Hcl
treat for 24-48 hrs and then retreat in 2-3 weeks.

Draal5

AC Members
Apr 23, 2007
Fist if you just had ich than you are keeping the temp way to cold for discus you should have the temp @ 84 - 86. Ich can not live in high temps.

Hold off on any meds for now if you could post some pictures so we can see what you are talking about we can better diagnose the problem if you have one.

RedScare

AC Members
Jul 1, 2007
Wisconsin
Try a dose of prazi pro and if you see more stringy white poo then follow the instructions for further doses. 1 dose will not harm your fish.

sarafish

AC Members
Oct 3, 2008
Thanx guys....my temp is at 31-32c (86-89) itch is gone. Will try very hard to get pic 4 u today. I know (shame shame) i do not hav qt as these r all bought same time,same store etc. But a new tank is on the horizon so old1 wil b qt. No new fish will b bought until new tank....so for now im keeping every1 as happy as possibl..4-5 times a day feedings, high temp, clean tank, 50/ waterchange every other day. Ive had to keep them in a planted tank bcuz of a bully problem.

sarafish

AC Members
Oct 3, 2008
may giv prazi pro a go... has any1 had these in their discus? Does it look like my lfs is &*#! or what?! prob cuz im in oz

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
:iagree::iagree:

once they get established internally they will need some sort of anti parasite treatment.
salt is effective on the worm spawn ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store