SAE

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
What is the difference between SAEs and Ottos?

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
They are two different species. Otos are smaller. Otos are great for diatoms while SAEs are good with hair algae.

I could go on and on. Was there something specific you wanted to know?

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
They are two different species. Otos are smaller. Otos are great for diatoms while SAEs are good with hair algae.

I could go on and on. Was there something specific you wanted to know?
They just look alike and I thought I was missing something. :) What is a diatom? And, please, go on and on. I love my ottos and would like to hear anything I can.

lucy42083

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY
SAEs are much larger than otos, they can grow up to 6 inches. They are also much more active, and can show some conspecific aggression, at least IME.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Otos and Siamese Algae Eaters are very different, SAEs grow to 6 inches, otos stay at arounf the 1.5 inch mark. Otos mainly eat diatomic algae and SAEs eat hair algae and most notably, black beard algae.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
And of course Ottos are catfish and SAEs are carp. Ottos have suckermouths; SAEs do not, they have browsing jaws. Apart from both eating algae, they're really not very alike. But then I can't see how people think that SAEs look like CAEs; they appear totally different to my eyes - the first has stripes, the second blotches.

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
And of course Ottos are catfish and SAEs are carp. Ottos have suckermouths; SAEs do not, they have browsing jaws. Apart from both eating algae, they're really not very alike. But then I can't see how people think that SAEs look like CAEs; they appear totally different to my eyes - the first has stripes, the second blotches.

I think I just made a big mistake. I wanted three ottos at the LFS. I pointed to the ones I wanted but I can't stand to see them chased around the tank so I looked away. She handed me the bag and I looked at them and of course they were freaking out. I took them home and I think one of them is a SAE!!!

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Otos: (picture from otocinclus.com)

SAE:
(Picture by Joergen.Schoppe.)

The SAEs have a slimmer and more torpedo profile and otos have a flattened and wide-ish head.

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
They just look alike and I thought I was missing something. :) What is a diatom? And, please, go on and on. I love my ottos and would like to hear anything I can.
A diatom is a brown algae that shows up usually in new tanks.

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
What do you think? SAE? Sorry about the blurry pic.

100_0795.JPG

100_0795.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store