Angelfish in this setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ctaylor

AC Members
I am moving most of my fish out of my 46g and will have quite a bit of room to add more fish. After quite a bit of thinking about what kind of fish to add I finally thought keeping Angels. What will be staying in the tank are 4 gourami and 6 tiger barbs. I know Tiger barbs can be nippy, but mine are really mild mannered never even trying to nip at the gourami's feeler things. I don't intend to breed them, besides, my water params are probably off for it. Anyone see any problems with the stock of the tank? Just to answer some questions before they are asked, I have a Fluval 404 and Whisper 60, PH 7.6, GH 11deg, Temp 80. PH and GH could be better, but I have been keeping all kinds of fish in these params for a while and they have been thriving. Also, how many could I keep in this setup? Thanks in advance.

Chris

Doh, posted in wrong forum, feel free to move, ohh well, anyone?

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
your fish havent necessarily been thriving just surviving, fish do better in water close to the natural water but can often live in very different water. but as for angels and tiger barbs be careful and watch the angels/barbs closely for the first few days you put them in casue tiger barbs are fin nippers.

T

TnCgal

Hello there, Mr. Taylor

Moving this thread on over to Gen FW for your shopping convenience. :p

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
IME,tiger barbs are real Bad tankmates when it is mixed with angels,i got 3 angels,2 died,one survived,there are 15 or more barbs,they attacked in packs of 5,the last one had its personality saving it,it was aggressive toward other fishes which kept the barbs at bay,soon they lost interest.

JeffP

AC Members
Mar 26, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Tightdog, I would add that most aquarium fish benefit most from consistent water parameters more than specific water parameters. However, there are exceptions.

ctaylor

AC Members
Thanks TnC for the move. How you been by the way? :)

Tightdog, I haven't had even a hint of disease since I first got my clown loaches, my fish reach sizes larger than expected for aquariums in an abnormally short amount of time, and many are breeding. If that isn't thriving, please let me know what is. My barbs have never really been nippers, they have more annoyed the other fish more than anything. That has even stopped with age. Of course I would watch them closely, just like I do any new fish.

Serrateeth, what was the general temperment of your barbs before you put the angels in? What was the size diffrence between the angels and barbs? And what size tank was it?

Jeff, I have found the same thing.

I think I might be able to pull it off if I am able to get some angels about 50 cent size or about the same size or larger than the barbs. Are angels quick or slow swimmers?

Thanks
Chris

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store