GSP stunted growth?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

theredchaser

AC Members
Aug 8, 2008
I got a GSP from a LFS today with terrible water conditions... The water was so green that when I dripped 4 gallons of clean water mixed with the dirty water in the tiny plastic bag, the water was still neon green... :swear:

I did some research and found that GSP apparently can get stunted in size, but can these guys get unstunted with proper care or do they basically have a primary growth period and stop growing afterwards no matter what you do? Its size is about 1.75 inches but I remember seeing 1 inch puffers several years ago and I'm kind of afraid they might be the same stunted stock that never sold...

What kind of food is recommended for fastest growth? I see people advocating all sorts of food but many of these are mostly moisture and low in protein like blood worms, krill, etc. Would it be worth my time to try to get this guy to eat dry foods (flakes) high in protein? He seems pretty accepting of new foods for a puffer.

Right now I'm feeding him all sorts of food soaked in garlic for possible parasites. He's already fattened up like a rapala crankbait... :perv:

theredchaser

AC Members
Aug 8, 2008
My main question is whether GSP's can grow to their full potential if they were kept in bad conditions during their juvenile times? Any input would be appreciated...

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
i would be willing to bet they might stay a little smaller than normal, but would acheive a good size still

goby1kenobi

Registered Member
Dec 6, 2008
I've had GSPs that were stunted at a critical time (because, 8 years ago, we didn't know nearly as much as we do now)...and the largest of them never topped 3", despite getting moved into a 55g tank, getting good food, etc.

xspainx69

Registered Member
Nov 29, 2007
Fresh Meadows, Queens NY
I've had GSPs that were stunted at a critical time (because, 8 years ago, we didn't know nearly as much as we do now)...and the largest of them never topped 3", despite getting moved into a 55g tank, getting good food, etc.

Maybe theres small people genes in his family :rofl:

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
hey! no short jokes (some of us are just petite)!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store