What to feed baby discus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pam916

AC Members
Oct 19, 2008
fort worth, tx
My baby discus are about 6 weeks old now and I have been feeding them live bbs and they eat well, my question is when should I start adding other food and what will they eat?

PopPopsfish

AC Members
Mar 17, 2008
PA
My baby discus are about 6 weeks old now and I have been feeding them live bbs and they eat well, my question is when should I start adding other food and what will they eat?
Stay with the BBS and in a week or so try some crushed up flake along with the BBS. You can also feed them white worms if you can get them our babies love um. We have some 7-8 week old ones that are still with the parents and we feed bloodworms to the Adults and the babies try to eat as well.

Good luck

pam916

AC Members
Oct 19, 2008
fort worth, tx
Thanks. I gave them some baby bites this evening and they went crazy eating them, I will add some crushed flake food and frozen bloodworms. Any suggestions on how long I need to feed the bbs. Thanks again, Pam.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
you can move to other foods as long as the fry are eating other foods.

BBS are great but as soon as my fry start eating flake, beef heart etc. I cut back the bbs .

seanyuki

AC Members
Oct 13, 2008
British Columbia.Canada
Hi Pop,

The frys attached to the parents over seven weeks and could really stress the parents.... eating off all the milk from the parents .

Cheers
Francis

Stay with the BBS and in a week or so try some crushed up flake along with the BBS. You can also feed them white worms if you can get them our babies love um. We have some 7-8 week old ones that are still with the parents and we feed bloodworms to the Adults and the babies try to eat as well.

Good luck

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
baby daphnia is always good

Dkarc

Orlando Discus
Remove fry from parentts after week 2, feed with BBS until week 4-5, switch to frozen (not freeze-dried) cyclop-eeze. Continue feeding cyclops until week 6-7, all the while trying to switch them onto a high protein/high fat pelleted feed. Shoot for a protein content of 45-50% and as high of fat content as you can find. The high fat is key as that wil accelerate growth. I try to avoid beefheart if at all possible. Too messy/dirty. Pellets are much better. Flake food is ok, but there are considerable nutrient leaching issues due to the relatively high surface area of the flake compared to a pellet.

-Ryan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store