Advice on starting an Angelfish tank...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
I

IGKYA!!!

30G high. I want a school of angels. It will be in our bedroom.

I would like any bits of advice you all can give on filtration, heater, substrate, and especially- tankmates!

Thanks to al in advance.

IGKYA!!!- OUT!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
You could fit a group of 5-6 juveniles in a tank that size, but large, full grown angels will need more room...you might fit a pair in that tank.
Angels are slow, delicate fish who prefer calm, slow moving currents, dense marginal plantings with swimming room in the middle, some driftwood and an amazon sword would make a nice center piece and spawning site.
They also prefer soft, slightly acidic water that is clear and well filtered.(an ac200-300) would be fine, just turn the flow down some. Temperature around 78-80F.
Substrate isnt really important as far as angels are concerned, but if you use live plants, go with flourite.
Feed them a quality staple flake food supplimented with frozen bloodworms and brineshrimp.
Good tank mates include all corydoras catfishes, ottos, bristlenose, hatchets, larger tetras, and smaller, less aggressive gouramis. Some cichlid species that would coexist fine with them include: Keyholes, kribs, rams, and apistos. But I wouldnt add these in a tank of only 30 gallons.
If it were my tank, I would just get a pair of half grown angels, 4 cory cats, a bristlenose, 5 ottos with maybe a small school(4) of lemon or black skirt tetras. But that would really be pushing your fish load to it's max.

Last edited:

wetmanNY

AC Members
You have two phases coming. Remember, they are cichlids after all. So your first-phase school will break up when the first mating pair forms (second phase). Then you have to find homes for the others. A mated pair, breeding and maybe raising some young (or eating spawn after spawn) is one of the most interesting aquariums you could ask for.

If you can resist adding a mixed "community" of other fish, you'll have moved to a highly sophisticated level of fish-keeping.

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
Oops,i missed that one,don't mix angels with barbs,don't try what i try, which is mixing tiger barbs and angels,2 died and the barbs lost intrest to the third one.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Small..

Get 'baby' Angelfish if you can. Let them 'grow - in' to your aquarium... :)

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by wetmanNY
People like to slip in somthing like Otos, but then it's not really a "species tank."
OH, OK..
lol.. an Oto tank. Hmm. ....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store