Anyone Growing Sebae Blue Dot Tips Anemone?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tamz273

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
Im looking to buy a colony... any idea if they are hard to keep? what they eat? lighting...?

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
I take it you're referring to Heteractis crispa, if so they're definately NOT the easiest of anemones that's for sure.

They require bright lighting, moderate current and a large tank that has been set up for preferably 12 months or more, but at least 6 months.

They do have a low survival rate in captivity whereas the Bubble-tip anemone (Entacmaea quadricolour) is the hardiest.

tamz273

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
My tank has been setup for over 8 years now, with constant water changes , loads of rock, n a tunze skimmer..
I have 2 150w Halides and 2 24w Actinics... is that enough lighting for it? I already have BTA's that are splitting waay too fast! so not looking for any more of those...
I think im going to give this guy a go... looks absolutely stunning!

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
I am not sure I would get a Sebae just yet and you say your tank has been up and running for 8 years but it looks like you just got this tank and had problems cycling it just a couple months ago. Sebea's can be very diffecult even in mature tanks of 2 years old let alone a young tank.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Same tank???

I am not sure I would get a Sebae just yet and you say your tank has been up and running for 8 years but it looks like you just got this tank and had problems cycling it just a couple months ago. Sebea's can be very diffecult even in mature tanks of 2 years old let alone a young tank.
Hey guys,
I got a new tank about a month ago, and I've been attempting to cycle it ever since.
At one point, i thought it was cycled and went ahead and bought a whole lot of fish...

5-Yellow Tails
3-Black Damsels
2-Clown Fish
2-Tomato Clownfish
2-Peach Anthias
1-Convict Tang
1-Lion Fish

This is in a 300 Liter Tank...

Ever since I put them in, the Nitrite level doesnt seem to go down, and the Nitrate level is also fixed at a certain point...

I have tried cycling 15% of the water once ever 2 days for about a week, with no luck.. Levels won't change...

Another problem is that whenever immerse the end of the pump that is spilling the water out, the fish start to breath harder and harder and eventually start moving and stand still in the water. When I pull it back out of the water, and bubbles start to flow into the water again, they get better within an hour or two, and eventually swim around normally...

Is this problem related to the nitrite and nitrate levels being high?

Also on top of all of the above, the water is VERY cloudy and "yellowish"...

tamz273

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
Nooooooo hahaha! not the same tank!! great memory though!! that was a tank i was setting up this summer back home.. (Dubai) i study in Boston and just inhabited a 8year old tank from a family friend over here...
That's why I was just getting into the hobby this summer, and now im starting to understand it a lot more... The tank with trouble during the summer is doing pretty well back home now! got quite a bit of live stock in it and family members are doing the regular water changes and keeping me posted!

The tank im working on now actually has a pair of clowns that are 8 years old, so that's how I know its a pretty healthy tank... I havent dont any param checks anytime recently though, so ill run some, if everything looks stable im gonna go ahead and order a colony online... (my LFS doesnt have any)

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
The only thing with anemones is that an 8yr old tank and 8 yrs experience are totally different scenarios.

You definately need to be up on parameter checks and everything. Are the BTA's yours or are they inherited as well?

Last edited:

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
The only thing with anemones is that an 8yr old tank and 8 yrs experience are totally different scenarios.

You definately need to be up on parameter checks and everything. Are the BTA's yours or are they inherited as well?
My thoughts exactlly on age of tank and experience being very different. Its not usually a good idea to mix anemones in the same tank

tamz273

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
they inherited but 2 of them have split with me since ive had the tank (about 1 month and a half)... experience, i dont have too much... about 6 months now... to be honest im not sure if im ready to own one... that is why im asking about it!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store