Synodontis petricola ??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
So I plan to get some Friday, unless I end up working anything I should know about them?

They are going in my 55 which is actually a Lake Malawi set up, I believe they are Lake Tang? So they will be the odd balls but I like them and they are what was recommended to me for bottom dwellers.

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
Thanks Pap!!!

It looks like I wont be making it Friday :(, they called me to work...if I can get out of there in time, I'll still make the trip up there they are open till 8..if not well it will be next week before I make it I'm sure:headshake2:

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Social little buggers, whether actually petricola or the more common lucipinnis the more the merrier. If you only get a couple you'll never see them, get a half-dozen or so for better activity/visibility (unless you WANT catfish you'll never see.) Most often sold as juvies, around 1-2", they'll likely take a couple years to grow to full size.
One thing, make sure there's no gap around any HOB filters you may have. They like to swim up the outflow, and don't always make it back into the tank. I was baffled by mysteriously disappearing catfish until I found one dried out on the glass cover.

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
Thanks TNB!!! It is just a 55 they are going in that is why I was just doing 3, there will be several ACs in the tank as well...do you think I should get more then 3???

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
I have a 55 with a breeding pair of buescheri and about a half-dozen nearly mature juvies, a colony of multi's (at least a dozen) and 5-6 V. moorii currently about the same size as the adult male multi's. Also sharing the tank are at least 10 lucipinnis, maybe 11. I really can't remember exactly how many there are. Some are older than others, about half are large enough to spawn but still have a bit of growing to do.
I am planning on moving the Syno's into another tank for spawning sometime over the winter, but they all get along well enough in the current community.
I put a strip light on top of the 55 with the AC's to cover the openings, and didn't have any more vanishing catfish. They're in a different 55 now, filtered by a fluval canister and 2 large AC powerheads. Enclosed top w/out any escape holes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store