Ready for my third tank in a year. Can I keep goldfish in a 10G?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TeaPea

AC Members
Aug 26, 2002
Brightwaters, NY
Hi all. Well, after only a year into the fishkeeping hobby I am ready to add a third tank. I currently have a 29G community tank, and a 5G guppy tank. We recently finished our basement and I was considering putting a tank down there but decided I didn't have the money...until yesterday, a neighbor had a garage sale and threw out everything he didn't sell. He urged us to take whatever we wanted, so we couldn't resist a nice 10G with wooden stand and all the accesories. Can't beat free!

Now the problem...My husband wants to put goldfish in it. I say 10G isn't big enough for goldfish. I would love to make an an AFrican tank. My second choice would be mollies.

Goldfish lovers, is 10G big enough for a couple of goldfish? Not even sure which kind we would put in there...he said likes the "multicolored" kind but since I know next to nothing about goldfish I don't know if there is such a thing! :confused:

TIA!

avoxo

FORE!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 25, 2003
North Providence, RI
Visit site
Hi TeaPea, sorry to inform you but a 10-gallon tank is not enough for a couple of goldfish. Minimum its 10 gallons per goldfish, more when they get bigger. They produce copious amounts of waste which will cause problems for your fish later on.

TeaPea

AC Members
Aug 26, 2002
Brightwaters, NY
Thanks for the replies. I just have to say I'm very confused though. Aren't goldfish kept in half gallon bowls? How is a 10 gallon tank no good for a couple of them?

F.sparverius

AC Members
Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
They CAN be kept in half gallon tanks but it's not good for the fish. The nitrates would be through the roof. I woulden't see why you could not keep two of the smaller species in a 10 gallon tank if you had really good filtration and kept the tank clean though. But more than two probably would not be wise. Although I don't know too much about smaller gold fish.....we keep our Koi in a half acre pond.

yashinfan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2003
No way should a goldfish be kept in a 10 gallon! They get to be huge!!! I've seen a 7 inch goldfish that my boyfriend has in his 35 gallon tank! Now the half a gallon bowl is just cruel, I mean technically you could live in a cardboard box, but it would smell really bad and eventually it would stunt your growth and you would die... So just don't do it, I'll be sad. :eek:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store