Green Anaconda tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuguuuu!
Oct 3, 2008
Spokanistan
www.myspace.com
Alright, I got a little greenie...

I'm setting him up a 50 Gal. live planted terrarium with a waterfall. There will be atleast 20 gallons worth of water for him to swim in, and I'm throwing some south american fish in there for show.

Last time I set up one of these, I knew nothing about fish. I threw some green terrors in with some african cichlids lol. As you can imagine that ended in disaster.

Anywho, can anyone suggest any S.A. fish that work with this set up.

Here's a picture of my old anaconda tank. You can see the surviving green terror and a convict if you look closely heehee... I'm planning on setting up the same thing, only a bit nicer.

l_91ba41cd2d5d4101a3db8571321cba64.jpg

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
I'm sorry to do this, but as a herpkeeper I feel compelled to ask this question. Green anacondas will easily live to be 30+ years, grow enormous, and turn nasty. You won't be able to handle it by yourself. Even experienced snake breeders do not consider handling these animals to be fun. Are you prepared for this difficult animal to be in your life for that long?

As for fish, I would just stick to things that reproduce and swim quickly, are hardy and cheap-like guppies.

Darkness9876

AC Members
Aug 11, 2008
No Where Kansas
This snake could probably go to the local zoo when it got too large. I am sure they would love to have it in their collection. He could most likely keep it until it reached 6-7 feet, but then it would need a new home.

Large snakes like this are one of the few animals that I would ever say it was okay to buy one and keep it for several years then sell it because they are magnificent animals and they can be given proper homes later on in life by way of a zoo or other entity.

I love the slate in your tank but I would be worried about the sharp edges harming you snake with them just out there like that. I have the same slate as a background in all my tanks. View attachment 58441 thats what it looks like and it is very easy to do and get rid of the sharp edges)

I also suggest the fast moving fish. Guppies are magnificent in their own right anyway.

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
I beg to differ, Darkness. Many, perhaps most, zoos have to turn away dozens of giant snake offers every year. 116, please think through the long-term consequences of having this animal.

To answer your original question, smaller fish are probably the only ones who will survive your anaconda's appetite in any numbers, unless he's a picky eater and doesn't like fish. Avoid plecos and other spiny fish that could hurt the snake if he tries to eat them. The livebearer option is a good one, though in a large tank I would prefer the somewhat larger livebearers such as swordtails, mollies, or even Belonesox (I think it's Central American, but it's still a cool fish).

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I think swordtails and mollies are Central American as well. Endler's might be a nice touch.

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
like so many people tell me YOUR GONNA NEED A BIGGER TANK

:silly:

but that should be a killer thing to have as a pet very interesting choice

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Yeah, there are places you can buy juvie anacondas. I agree with the statement above about how it's really, really hard to donate animals to zoos nowadays...there are certain fishes in the hobby that are a real problem in that respect, as well as several large snakes and turtles...many zoos can't just take whatever is offered to them by hobbyists because they have too many already, don't have the required resources or have already planned on other acquisitions. It's not a viable fall-back plan unless you get in writing that they WILL do that for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store