Goldfish floating head up

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ebola

AC Members
Apr 30, 2008
Hi,

I have goldfish who floats head up staionary. I tap on the glass, he swims around normally, but goes back to floating head up soon. I did a big waterchange last night, but havent checked my params. There's no reason they shouldn't be perfect, tho. Are there any diseases that could do this?

DooSPX

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
Florida
what kind of goldfish? try feeding de-shelled peas. possibly could be swimbladder problems. is your food sinking pellets? try to only feed sinking pellets. Fancy GF have problems with that because when they go up to the surface for the food, they swallow air too, and because of their shape, they have a hard time expelling the air through their gills or back through their mouth.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
There are a number of things that could cause this.
Have you read the sticky article on goldfish? It could help you a lot.

ebola

AC Members
Apr 30, 2008
yup.. turns out the filter intake was clogged with peat moss and mulm. cleaned it out, it's putting out a ton more water, and the little dears are active again. since the params were fine, im guessing the water just wasn't oxygenated enough

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store