Angelfish with Serpae Tetras

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kianhannan

Sep 29, 2008
Indian Harbour Beach Florida
hey
i have a 55 gallon planted Amazon set up. currently it is stocked with 12 serpae tetras and 10 black neons, as well as 3 panda cories and a green cory(i know i gotta get another green asap). i am thinking of adding some angels to the tank but i have a few questions. first

How many Angels could go in the 55g. its hard to buy a pair, so should i buy 3 or 4 and wait for 2 to pair off
and
Would the Serpae Tetras be too hostile and nip fins? at first they bullied the neons but theyve become less boisterous. would the angelfish hold its own against them? a friend of mine said it can be done, but i am not sure and i dont want any problems.

my last question is if the angels would be pushing the stock limit? i just converted from marine(its funny how i went backwards) and im used to the very conservative stocking associated with marine set ups. i really am not sure of my limit and advice would be helpful

thanks, kian

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I agree with Lupin. Also, one thing that mutes the serpae nipping of other fish is when they are too busy with each other. If you lose several of them over time, a smaller group may get more interested in the other fish in the tank.

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
My serpaes just go after eachother, not other tankmates. Tank raised angelfish is the way to go.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I have 3 serpaes with 1 angel and some tiger barbs. Though I would never recommend this mix for others, it works well for me. The angel is very aggressive and the others stay away from him. Likely due to having enough to spread the aggression kkeps it from being picked on.

To get a breeding pair you will need at least 6 and wait for them to pair off. Once that happens simply remove the unpaired ones. I feel you have well-stocked tank and 6 angels would be too much. It's worth a shot if you increase your filtration.

stratusfearrr

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
i went out and bought three angel fish, and put them in with my 10 serpae's. So far, they nipped the fins on the angels quite a bit. it doesnt seem like a good combination.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store