Red Tailed Black Shark - Color

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kevin007

AC Members
May 27, 2008
I remember keeping a red tailed black shark a long time ago, he was really chubby and his colors were very vibrant. He ended up bullying everyone so I returned him.

I brought a small one (2 inches) 2 days ago and his colours are not nearly as bright, he also has a white tip on his fin.

Will his color brighten up soon? Is size a factor? How long did yours take to colour up if you kept these guys before?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Good food & some growth, it'll be beautiful. Keep it in at least a 4 ft tank & give it a cave or 2 for a home territory. Be careful trying to keep corys with them, it never ever worked for us once the shark got big.

Kevin007

AC Members
May 27, 2008
He lives in a 55 Gallon tank with mbunas, so he has sand on the bottom and alot of caves.

I'll give him some time, I'll try to find my rtbs 4 - 5yrs ago

Kevin007

AC Members
May 27, 2008
Chances are he won't show his best colors with mbuna. There will be added stress with the competition for territories and food.
I hope this isn't the case, this is the only place where I can keep a RTBS. Its simply too agressive for community fish.

With that said, I only keep Yellow Labs, Aceis and Rusties soon, all fairly peaceful cichlids.

They seem to leave each other alone for now, but thats because they are all juvies.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
They are all peaceful relative to other african cichlids, but not compared to other tropical species. I'd definitely keep an eye out for aggression once they start to mature.

RTS's should be fine with the larger, more robust mid/top-dwelling species (i.e. giant danios). It's usually the bottom-dwellers that they have problems with.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store