Getting Angel to Spawn Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jere1558

AC Members
Dec 14, 2006
Pennsylvania
What can I do to get her to lay eggs again?

37g high
gravel with plastic plants
HOB filter
water at 80 degrees
A=0
NI=0
NA=0
PH=7.6

I know I have a male and a female. She laid eggs about 2 months ago. He tried to fertilize. A little too much activity in the room...they ate the eggs.

They are the only fish in the tank.

Feed 2x daily...flakes, dried blood worms and frozen blood worms (alternating).

50% water changes weekly.

Thanks in advance!

jere1558

AC Members
Dec 14, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yep, zero nitrAtes. API liquid drops for testing. The test kit is only 6 months old. I follow the directions carefully (for nitrates...bottle one 10 drops, gently shake for 30 seconds, 10 drops of second bottle shake for 1 minute). I am on a well with no nitrates also.

My 55 long, planted tank also has no nitrAtes.

jere1558

AC Members
Dec 14, 2006
Pennsylvania
Sorry. No nitrAtes. Tested before water change. Since moving into the new house I have tested weekly. Neither tank has had nitrAtes at any time.

PopPopsfish

AC Members
Mar 17, 2008
PA
Feed lots of blood worms , try adding some cooler water to simulate rain fall.

Water changes , increase in temp.

How many times have they laid eggs?

Are you sure you have a pair ? Did you see them spawn? Do you know how to tell the difference ?
Sorry for all the questions but in order to help I need additional info.

There are a few other things we do to get proven pairs to spawn, we currently have 27 Proven pairs spawing we have new clutches almost every day of the week with all these pairs going .

Pops

jere1558

AC Members
Dec 14, 2006
Pennsylvania
Thanks Pops.

i know i have a male and a female. i just increased the water temp to 82. she has laid eggs 2 times with the male. should i increase the frozen bloodworm from 2x a week to 3 or 4? i give flake and dried food also. flake is 46% crude protein, dried blood worms are at least 50% crude protein. I haven't looked at the frozen. I presume the same or higher proteins.

PopPopsfish

AC Members
Mar 17, 2008
PA
Thanks Pops.

i know i have a male and a female. i just increased the water temp to 82. she has laid eggs 2 times with the male. should i increase the frozen bloodworm from 2x a week to 3 or 4? i give flake and dried food also. flake is 46% crude protein, dried blood worms are at least 50% crude protein. I haven't looked at the frozen. I presume the same or higher proteins.

Have any of the eggs hatched before ? How many turned white?

If you have a true pair they will lay eggs every 6-10 days as long as you water conditions are right.

We use Hikari Blood Worms when we want them to pick up the pace we feed 2x's a day plus quality flake = 3x day

PopPopsfish

AC Members
Mar 17, 2008
PA
Angels 101

Here are the general questions and answers to breeding Angels .

Breeding Angels Part 1.
BREEDING ANGELS:
Part # 1.

Question: How can I tell male angelfish from female angelfish?
Answer:
There are some subtle differences that an experienced angelfish breeder can use to help identify mature males and females. Some angelfish enthusiasts say that the angle of the anal fin in relation to the belly of the angel will identify the sex. Others say that some male angels may have a hump on the crown and some may be larger than the females. There seems to be too many ways of telling them apart, but none seem to be 100% correct. These differences do not exist on immature angelfish, all of the time. The only sure way to tell the difference between mature males from mature females is to examine the breeding tubes during spawning. The female's breeding tube is wider and blunter than the male's.

Question: Does the pecking order change when a pair is formed?
Answer:
Normally the pecking order will stay as it is until a pair is formed. Once a male and female form a pair, then it does change everything in the tank. The pair will normally be aggressive in defending their territory. The pecking order will be no more. At this time, it would be good idea to either remove the pair from the tank, or the other fish from it.

Question: Can two different types of angelfish breed?
Answer:
Yes they can. Whether it is gold, silver etc, they will spawn with
any other type of angel. That is how new varieties are created. It will not
matter if they have standard fins, veils or super veils, pearl scales, blushing or not.

Question: I have several angles now, so how do I tell if they are male or female?
Answer:
Depending on the size of the angelfish now, it may take some time before you can tell their sex. The only real way of telling whether you have a male or female is by waiting for them to spawn. At that time, you will be able to see their breeding tube. The female's tube is blunt and much larger than the male's. Their breeding tubes can be said to be like a pencil. The female has a blunt tube, while the male has something similar to the tip of the pencil, shorter and pointy. During spawning, the female's lower body will thicken as she starts to produce eggs.

Question: Can I get a pair of angels from keeping two angels?
Answer:
With only two angels it is hard to get a pair. It has been done, but getting five or six angels and growing them up gives you a better chance for a pair. The chances of getting at least one pair from six angelfish is 95%.
Chance of Pairs forming: (This is not exact but can be used to predict pairs)

1 fish 100% no pair
2 fish 50% for a pair
3 fish 75% for a pair
4 fish 87.5% for a pair
5 fish 93.8% for a pair
6 fish 96.9% for a pair
7 fish 98.4% for a pair
8 fish 99.2 % for a pair

Question: What size can you sell angels?
Answer:
The answer to this will depend on what size the LFS wants to purchase
them at. Some places won't buy them unless they are quarter size in body.
Some will buy them at dime to nickel size. Normally, fish stores will take them when they are dime to nickel size. When they are small, their immune system is still growing. As there is more chance that they may not survive when they are smaller, the fish stores will only buy them when they are a reasonable size. What is reasonable will depend on your fish store. They don’t pay more than $1.25 per fish in our area for standard silver, gold’s or blacks.

Question: What can I do to make sure the youngsters grow quickly to their adult size?
Answer:
What food should I feed them and how often should they be fed?
There are several choices of quality foods, frozen brine shrimp and bloodworm's may
help them grow quickly and a quality flake with a high protein low fat content. We raise our own Blood Worms so our fish have a live treats along with a shrimp colony.
Depending on the size they are now, you might have to feed them 2 to 5 times a day. The problem with this is that the more you feed them, the more strain you put on your tank when it comes to waste. You will need to make sure you constantly do daily water changes at 25 to 75% depending on size and quantity of you stock.

Question: How long does it take an Angel to reach Adult size?
Answer:
They normally reach adult size at around 8 to 12 months.

Question: What’s a good size tank to breed Angels in?
Answer:
Generally speaking, a 20 gallon tank is considered to be adequate to breed a pair of angelfish.

Question: What size container can I use to hatch eggs taken from my pair of Angels?
Answer:
We use a large specimen container to hatch most of the eggs we remove from the parents. We also use 2.5 gallon tanks to hatch large clutches.

Question: What about a fry tank? What's a good size for them?
Answer:
10-20 gallon tank may be sufficient for fry.

Question: How big are angelfish eggs?
Answer:
They are the size of a pinhead.

Question: What happens once eggs are laid?
Answer:
If the female has deposited her eggs, and the male fertilizes them, the
following should occur;
Day 0: The eggs are spawned in lines.
Day 1: Any infertile eggs will turn white.
Day 2: More eggs may turn white and fall to the bottom of the tank.
Some eggs may have fungus on them, which turns them fuzzy.
Today, wiggling tails may emerge from clear eggs.
Day 3: Tadpole shape forms with large yolk sack, fry remain stuck to
the slate.
Day 4: Small eyes begin to form. The fry will survive on their yoke sacs.
There is no need to feed them yet.
Day 5: Eyes grow larger, yolk sack shrinks. Today, you will need to
start your baby brine shrimp hatchery.
Day 6: Some fry are free swimming.
Day 7 or 8 Most of the fry should be free swimming. This is the time to start
feeding them baby brine shrimp.

Don’t feed to soon!!!!! Only feed small amounts and remove any uneaten BBS 15 to 20 min after feeding.

By Nana 07/12/2008

I hope this answers all your questions.

Pops

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store