Help with sick goldfish!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

munkeycraz

AC Members
Oct 23, 2008
Hello, I have a 47 gallon tall aquarium. I had in it cave fish, angelfish,goldfish,puffers,sharks,alge eaters, a large snail 2 frogs and and some mollies and guamies <~~Spelling... Well i did not know that the last thing my boyfriend bought and put in there wich was a channel catfish would grow so fast or eat all but like 5 of my fish! Will he continue to grow? I have pic in my profile of him. I also have been treating my black moore for fin rot and then it became something with his eye? Not sure what..it became loose like, shrank and deteriorated sort of..i treated with light green and neomycin..it looks better but still bad...i put im back in tank b/c i was treating seperately. Seems to be doing ok,will he live...pic on profile also...he had these bumps one on each side of his body..no discoloration or peeling just like a raised bump <small>..what is this? I know the thing i have in my tank dont "go" together but so far until tjhat stupid catfish where just fine..ppl at the fish store said i had alot of diff water temp fish all together but if they were doing ok they would prob survive.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Channel cats are NOT aquarium fish as they get far too big. And while some of the fish may survive in your tank, there is a big difference between surviving and thriving.

Some Q's for you:

What is your complete stock list? Just by looking at what you have said I am already thinking that your tank is inappropriately stocked.

Did you cycle this tank? If so, how?

What are your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

What is your maintanance schedule like? How often and how much are your water changes?

lilim10

AC Members
Aug 7, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
June
I agree with jpappy789, and many of your fish are not suitable for a tank of that size and shape with those inhabitants. What sort of filtration and feeding you have might also help, but jpappy789 just about covered it all.

munkeycraz

AC Members
Oct 23, 2008
I cycled for about a wek with no fish before putting any in. Then i got a filter than was more than enough for the size of the tank. I listed all the fish i have in there. I water change every 3 weeks about half? When my b/f bought the channel cat they said he would be fine...even tho i had my suspitions b/c it was in a tank with a baby sting ray!?!? I dont know what the level are...except for that the PH is 7 and the guy told me to add aquarium salt to the water gradually. I'd really hate to get rid of him but if I wont be able to get fish that will "thrive" i might have to. What type of fish do you suggest to go in there with him? We fed them brine shrimp once or twice and i think maybe that is what got my black moore sick to begin with. They loved the shrimp live but i heard they can contaminate your tank quickly... thanks for any help

munkeycraz

AC Members
Oct 23, 2008
I really hate the shape of the tank...it was on sale for the tank, hood, and stand with glass door for 130.00 It is a pain to clean, or decorate! Fits it my smallliving room well tho.

lucy42083

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY

That's a channel catfish.

I agree with the others that your tank seems quite inappropriately stocked. Goldfish are coldwater species, whereas most of the fish you have listed are tropical. It also sounds overstocked. What kind of puffers do you have? Pretty much all of them need a species only tank and most of them require brackish water.

It does not sound like you cycled you tank with an ammonia source (letting it sit for a week is not cycling). The first thing you should do is go get a liquid test kit and test ammonia, nitrite and nitrate - these are all much more important than pH. And I'd recommend doing a gravel vac and water change of 25-50% once every week, maybe twice a week in a tank this overstocked.

evelyn80

Guru at procrastinating
Aug 10, 2008
in your house!!
wow that catfish has to go! itll get way to big for that tank. also decide if your going tropical or coldwater than get rid of the fish that doesnt suit that category. also letting it sit is not cycling. ur tank is probably cycling now putting stress on the fish and giving them the diseases ur talkking about

munkeycraz

AC Members
Oct 23, 2008
Geesh, i just did was they told me at the pet store that i thought was cycling...putting in the prime and lettin it filter for a week or so? Man, that stinks they told me he would be fine. I saw a picture on her askin for an i.d on his cat and it looked like mine and they said it wasnt a channel cat? Im not sure what he is. I have gotten attached to him tho :0( but i want to do whats best for him. It is so hard to vaccum that gravel b/c of the height...i have to stand on a step ladder and put my entire body in there... i know it has to be done tho. I dont have an undergravel filter tho..is that somehting i need? i have about an inch of gravel increasing a lil as it goes back ... i have figure 8 puffers...none of the fish got sick except the black moore goldfish. That picture is scary..why would they sell that at an aquarium shop!!??

munkeycraz

AC Members
Oct 23, 2008
Also, i dont have near that many fish now due to the catfish. I only have 2 goldfish, 2 guaramis,1 cave fish, 2 frogs, 1 puffer, 2 angels 1 snail and one otto. There are always so many ppl at the fish store that you dont have that one on one with people that werk there. You tell them what you want...you can even pick it out..you get the one they pick..and your done... they act liek it is a crime if you want more than one or two fish out of differnt aquariums. Thanks for helpin me out... i might get rid of the gold fish..any advise on what others would go well wit what i have

53special

My wife hates my fish
Feb 8, 2008
Bensalem, Pa
You can't trust the people at the pet stores. Yes there are some that are very knowledgable, but most are just out to make a sale.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store