scratch filling/removal on acrylic?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
I just got an acrylic tank and there are some scratches(not so bad) and more scuffed areas that looks like some one used an abrasive cleaner on the out side.

I don't mind the scratches as much as these scuffed areas

any way to return it to a smooth surface?

Guy W

AC Members
Apr 8, 2002
Naples, FL
Originally posted by SnakeIce
I just got an acrylic tank and there are some scratches(not so bad) and more scuffed areas that looks like some one used an abrasive cleaner on the out side.

I don't mind the scratches as much as these scuffed areas

any way to return it to a smooth surface?
Many fish stores and online sites sell Acrylic scratch removal kits... but I've heard from many people that it's some serious buffing to get them out. Hope your arms are up for a work out!!!

Guy

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
anyone have any exp with doing it? or exactly how those kits work?

do you have to make that spot thinner by how deep the scratch goes? or do you fill it and then buff it smooth

gcvt

Functional Aquaholic
Mar 15, 2001
SF, CA
www.motorworld.com
I've been through this before and it's no picnic, but it does work.

First I bought the Rainbow Lifeguard scratch removal kit. It worked well in the deeper scratches but it does not polish them out completely....at least not good enough for me. After I went as far as I could go with the Rainbow kit, I bought the two-part liquid Tru-Vu kit. This polshed it up nicely and the tank looks almost new.

Before you start, take a big withdrawal from the 'patience bank' cuz you'll need it. Take your time with this! I figured I could get it all done in a few hours, but I worked on it for a number of days to get it just right.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
thanks for the product names

some spots on the tank look like they took steel wool to it lightly and tryed to clean something off of the tank with it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store