DIY Internal Canister Filter!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fwiffo

AC Members
Dec 5, 2007
that's right folks! this is all about an internal canister fiter!!!

here is the mighty water-purifying beast:

please note the professional photography of the shot- i hired a sports illustrated pro for this shoot!!!:lipssealedsmilie::evil_lol:

ANYWAY, its no bypass! water goes in through the bottom through the media and ou the pipe into the tank! :perv:

what you'll need:
  • 1 Jiff penut butter jar (yes, it has to be empty first:eek:)- $4
  • 1 white plastic sink strainer- $1.00
  • some plastic coated wiring- $2.00
  • 2 boxes of Fluval BioMax- $19.98 with Petsmart price match (you can whatever emdia you wish though:dance:)
  • 1 Aquaclear 20 powerhead- $13.00 with Petsmart price match
  • some poly fill - $2.00 at JoAnn craft store
price new: 42 bucks:eek3:!!!

BUT it works! i got really sick of buying all these penguins, aquaclears, and eheim filters tha don't clean the tank, water params are always off, and debris would float in the water column!!! so i built my own!

this was the first incarnation:

now, i improved the design:dance:!
all you do is cut a hole at the bottom of the jiff container and put the strainer in at the bottom.

fill the bottom with poly fill! its cheap, effective, and easy to re-use!!!

then fill that baby up with biological media!!!!:evil_lol:

then screw the red cap on the top!

good job, your almost done! :)

drill a hole the size of the intake stem of the powerhead. slide the unti into the hole. then using green wire, wrap it around the white strainer and then around the outlet pipe of the powerhead.

:thm::dance::thm::dance:
finish!!!

Presto! this little baby will keep your tank clean, the water clear, the gravel dirt and debris free, and your water params correct!!! yes, its done so for me and i love it.

its pricey up front, but i see no reason why it cant g on for a long, long time.

its awesome! try it out, you may be surprised at just how much fun you could have with a filter!

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Certainly more interesting than the usual powerhead+sponge combo.

Ajordan

Se?or Member - Get it?
Nov 21, 2006
Massachusetts
nice work! I have used a 64 oz super duper 7-11 monster bladder buster (tm) fountain drink cup stuffed with gravel and poly fill to make an air driven style. Wish I had some pics of it.

Even thought the aesthetic value may be low if you ever need a filter in a pinch keep this sort of stuff in mind!

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Not rain on anybody's parade. But the cost list above is incomplete. It doesnt include the cost of gas to run around to all the stores to get the stuff, nor the wear and tear cost on the car, It also doesn't include the value of the time involved. You can earn 8-10 bucks an hour flipping burgers. So if you spent 5 hours on the project- including getting everything, then there is another 40-50 bucks of cost.

My guess is the true cost of the diy filter is really over $100, Checkout what equipment you can buy online for that- even paying for shipping.

There are only two reasons i can see for doing anything DIY. The first is because exactly what you need isnt available premade. The second is because you enjoy doing it. It is very rare for anything DIY actually to cost less than premade.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
You know, this really isn't nearly as expensive as the OP makes it out to be. You can similarly use a powerhead, a soda bottle and some media, and it shouldn't total more than $20 and a few minutes. I don't think the "value of time" should be counted in since it can be done in our free time. No one's going to take 5 hours off from work to do this. Although I guess the weakness in this is that it's virtually the same as every internal filter I've ever seen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store