Powerhead for mixing saltwater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

105man

AC Members
Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
I use 3-gallon pails to mix my water for water changes. Any particular submersible powerhead you would recommend for mixing, that is fairly inexpensive?

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
50 pound buckets of Instant Ocean used to come with a free minijet powerhead great for mixing. I'd say try to find a minijet. I got one of the free ones with my last bucket of IO, so that's what I use.

105man

AC Members
Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
Thanks. Any particular size/power level?

I have an extra AquaClear but it's not submersible so I don't think it is as convenient.

BTW, I use Red Sea salt...it was what the tank started with and I have continued to just stay consistent with it.

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
For mixing in a 3 gallon pail the power level is really not an issue. Anything that pumps 20 gph or more will be just fine.

SamsonNY

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
hometown.aol.com
If you lived on LI, I'd say stop by and I'd give you a minijet. I've got a bunch laying around from those IO buckets.

I actually hated it when they put it in there (sometimes it was T-shirts and sometimes a plastic plant) since I like to be able to dump the entire bucket into my mixing vat, but I had to be careful and grab the pump (or T-shirt or plastic plant) before it fell into the vat. :mad:

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
I used an old Penguin PH. That did a great job until I started using it again, whereas I switched to the free Mini-Jet. It works, though now I have a permanent salt crust on the bottom of the 10 gallon that didn't get mixed. Also, lol, it really pissed me off how they put the pump at the bottom of the bucket. I needed that thing right away! I ended up pouring the salt into this huge tupperware tub so I could get it. Just like cereal!

widdledink

Graphic Design sluth
Sep 23, 2003
Chattanooga, TN
I use a RIO 90 to mix up my water. I also use a 50Gal Rubbermaid garbage can. They are great for this. Mix up the water, then store in somewhere out side with the lid on and its out of your way. Great when you live in apt. like I do.

Hey SamsonNY
If you want to get rid of some of the small IO powerheads I will send you postage if you realy want to get rid of a couple...

Let me know.
Grady

SamsonNY

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
hometown.aol.com
I'll send you one. (I have two, just checked and I PMed 105 if he wants one so I'm going to hang on to one in case he needs one..). E-mail me your address to: RDrakkir@aol.com.

Don't worry about postage. :cool:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I use a mag drive--but I'm mixing 65 gallons at a time, and the smaller pumps don't provide enough otion.

What AC ph do you have that is not submersible?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store