How rare is the black betta?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chinnp

In denial of MTS
Mar 24, 2005
I was at the LFS today checking out some remodeling they're doing (apparently they're adding an entire section on planted tanks) and noticed they were selling a black betta that they labeled as "rare". It was $15 which seemed pretty pricy for most fish I buy much less bettas but it was a very beautiful fish. I don't have any pics, but it's a smaller betta (or possibly just a juv fish) doesn't have the long flowing fins of fancier bettas and is jet black. I was a little intrigued as I have 5g and 10g tanks with no occupants at the moment. How rare is the black betta anyway? Is caring for it any different than your average betta?

caitylee

Yup....
Mar 12, 2008
Florida
They are not any harder to take care of then a regular betta, and I don't think they are as rare as the lfs is making them out to be. I have a black orchid crown tail and he is absolutely gorgeous, I got him from Petco.

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
Well, they are somewhat rare, but a few folks here either have them or have had them before. Care would be the same as other bettas, but I've read before that they have shorter lifespans than average. Not sure how accurate that is.

edit, guess caitylee beat me to the post

chinnp

In denial of MTS
Mar 24, 2005
Hmmm. Any harder than usual to breed? It was about the color of the average black molly so it was a color I've not seen on a betta before.

lilim10

AC Members
Aug 7, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
June
No, black bettas are not "rare" they're just less commonly seen. You can buy many high quality black bettas from breeders, but petstore bettas generally do not have "pure" genes, so that black male may throw other colors due to his mixed blood. If you're breeding for color, I would buy from a breeder. As for being harder to take care of, they are the same as any other betta. However, some rare strains of betta available through breeders are sometimes a bit more challenging than the average betta. Other than that, no the care should be the same, along with the breeding.

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
I remember reading something about how pure black bettas can't be breed. They are infertile. It was a couple years ago I read that when I was trying to get information on breeding bettas. Not sure how true it is but if it is true then that might explain why they are more rare.

lilim10

AC Members
Aug 7, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
June
I remember reading something about how pure black bettas can't be breed. They are infertile. It was a couple years ago I read that when I was trying to get information on breeding bettas. Not sure how true it is but if it is true then that might explain why they are more rare.
Not true, breeding black bettas is no different from regular bettas. Check this site: http://bettatalk.com/ she's a great breeder and sells high quality fish that breed true. There's also info and tips in there, along with supplies.

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
Black bettas

Had to show you pics of my boys. I am a proud mom and I paid 10.99 for each of them from the same local breeder.

My older boy, Max.
bqtta.jpg

My newest boy, Video.

And more Max being a ham.

The boys are both Black Orchids. I have a female at home who is a Black Lace. I have heard that the Black Melano females are sterile so you can't breed them.

bqtta.jpg

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store