Stocking ideas for a 75 gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

alleykat0498

AC Members
Oct 1, 2008
Virginia
I picked up a free 48x18 75 gallon tank off of craigslist this weekend, and will be building a stand and canopy over the next few days. Just wanted a few stocking ideas to kick around during the construction and cycling process. I already have a 110 with oscars and jd's, also have a silver arowana, and some convicts and flower horns. Some odd ball suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
If you want something unique I suggest a local biotope. What part of VA are you in? If in the uplands, you could set it up with a nice current and add some of your local darters, dace, and small sunfish, such as orangespots. Or if you're in the coastal plain you could do a very nice planted tank with Enneacanthus sunfish and killies.

alleykat0498

AC Members
Oct 1, 2008
Virginia
If you want something unique I suggest a local biotope. What part of VA are you in? If in the uplands, you could set it up with a nice current and add some of your local darters, dace, and small sunfish, such as orangespots. Or if you're in the coastal plain you could do a very nice planted tank with Enneacanthus sunfish and killies.
I am pretty sure that I have thought of just about everything but this option. I was actually putting my boat back on the trailer at the local boat landing a few days ago, and saw some kids with a casting net catching dozens of bluegill and small mouth bass. hmmmmm:thm: keep em coming.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
I picked up a free 48x18 75 gallon tank off of craigslist this weekend, and will be building a stand and canopy over the next few days. Just wanted a few stocking ideas to kick around during the construction and cycling process. I already have a 110 with oscars and jd's, also have a silver arowana, and some convicts and flower horns. Some odd ball suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
you should cinsider moving around the fish you already have. a flowerhorn alone will take over a 110.

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Smallies are too big, bluegill are plain. There are lots of gorgeous nongame fish in VA. Here in TN I can catch fish like these:

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
I would put some of the fish from your 110g in it, are you aware that silver arowanas grow to 3' and that a 110g tank is only big enough for two oscars.

alleykat0498

AC Members
Oct 1, 2008
Virginia
you should cinsider moving around the fish you already have. a flowerhorn alone will take over a 110.
I have 1 flowerhorn and she's about 2 inches, and she will not be a long term tenant, a friend had a few issues and got out of the hobby and she was free. The o's will be the only fish in the 110 when its all said and done. I have another 75 the jd's will go in but they are still small as well.

chinnp

In denial of MTS
Mar 24, 2005
I am absolutely in love with a tank my LFS has set up. It's a 125g, but can easily be scaled down to fit in a 75g. Basically, they set up the tank to look like a saltwater tank. It has a crushed coral substrate and lots of dead coral and base rock. It's stocked with African cichlids though instead of SW fish. From a distance you see a bright tank with bright colored fish zipping around and you think it's a SW tank. When you get closer you realize it's not. It's a very cool tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store