55gallon angel tank ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mkbuckham

AC Members
Mar 5, 2004
Colorado Springs
Visit site
I just inherited 4 koi angels from a freind and currently have them in my 29planted. I am going to set up my spare 55 and hope to get one pair
outa the four. My idea is to set up a moss wall the whole length of the back and plant micro sword in about two inches of flourite black sand. I am going to use a shoplight t8 70 watts 6700k and havent decided filtration yet butt have a couple hob and a canister im not using. I want the micro sword to cover the whole substrate and create a "lawn". Do I nead to add co2 if so will diy work? Do I nead to add driftwoo or some tall plants for the angels to hide in ( have slab black slate for eggs) or will they be Ok if whole tank is open? And last with only 1 pair breeding angels whar else can be in there and not interfere? Neons, Ghost Shrimp?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
For CO2, in a large tank, your best bet is pressurized, not DIY. Angels in the wild love to stalk among tree roots and tall reeds so these are essential in the sense that the angels would love plenty of cover. Small fish especially neons and invertebrates are not the best tankmates out there. Angels have proven themselves several times to be a menace to a community setup especially if these are in spawning condition. Your best bet would be feisty ones such as danios. Plecos will work but do not expect the eggs to last very long when these fish are around.

mkbuckham

AC Members
Mar 5, 2004
Colorado Springs
Visit site
I figured I would need pressurized co2 but didnt know if plants would need it so I didnt want to drop the money if I didnt have to. I was thinking the ghost shrimp would wind up being a live food source for the angels but would clean till then, was just worried they would eat the fry. What about filtration, do angels like slow or fast moving water?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Angels prefer slow water..but you can deflect water and create slow spots in the tank. driftwood and plants will help with that.

you ghost shrimp won't last more than a few days unless you have lots of cover for them.. even then they won't last long.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store